Thorvaldur Gylfason (Icelandic orthography Þorvaldur Gylfason; born 18 July 1951) is an Icelandic economist who has been active in Icelandic public life. On 27 November 2010, he was elected to be a delegate at the Icelandic Constitutional Assembly in 2011. He is the chairman of the Iceland Democratic Party.
Thorvaldur Gylfason has been Professor of Economics at the University of Iceland since 1983. He was Visiting Professor of Public and International Affairs at Princeton in 1986-1988. Prior to this he was an economist at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in Washington from 1976 to 1981.
Thorvaldur has been active in international policy debate as a Research Fellow at CESifo (Center for Economic Studies) at the University of Munich, Research Associate at the Center for U.S.-Japan Business and Economic Studies at New York University, and Fellow of the European Economic Association. He was Senior Research Fellow at the Institute for International Economic Studies at Stockholm University in 1978-1996, and Research Fellow at CEPR (Centre for Economic Policy Research) in London in 1987-2009. In recent years, he has been a frequent consultant to the International Monetary Fund and also the World Bank, the European Commission, and the European Free Trade Association (EFTA). He was chairman of the failed Icelandic bank Kaupthing from 1986 to 1990.
In the field of economics, Thorvaldur Gylfason has published numerous books, scientific papers in international journals and scholarly articles in his native Icelandic. He co-authored a book on the market economy that has been translated into seventeen languages, including Russian and Chinese.
- "PBS: How Severe Is Europe’s Intertwined Debt Crisis?" 24 January 2011.
- "Réttar ákvarðanir í hruninu" (in Icelandic), Morgunblaðið, 25 January 2011
- "Thorvaldur undisputed winner" (in Icelandic), Morgunblaðið, 2 December 2010.
- "Election outcome" Archived 2012-09-14 at Archive.today (in Icelandic). The Constitutional Assembly web page, 30 November 2010.
- CV of Thorvaldur Gylfason
- Arne Jon Isachsen, Thorvaldur Gylfason and Carl B Hamilton. Understanding the Market Economy. Oxford University Press, December, 1992. ISBN 9780198773573.