|Headquarters||Kalkofnsvegur 2, 101 Reykjavik, Iceland|
History and profile
Fréttablaðið was established in 2001. The paper was published 6 days per week, Monday - Saturday until September 2003 when its frequency was switched to daily. It is primarily owned by the media group 365 media.
Fréttablaðið has been described as siding politically with the Social Democratic Alliance (Samfylkingin) and for favouring Icelandic membership of the European Union. However, some of its editors have sided with the conservative Independence Party (Sjálfstæðisflokkurinn), and its former editor-in-chief and regular columnist is Independence Party's former leader and Prime Minister Þorsteinn Pálsson.
In the period of 2001–2002 the paper had a circulation of 70,000.
In 2017, 365 Miðlar sold most of its assets to Fjarskipti ehf, the parent company of Vodafone Iceland, including the website visir.is. 365 Miðlar kept Fréttablaðið along with Glamour magazine and opened a new website, frettabladid.is. After the sale to fjarskipti, 365 Miðlar moved operations for Fréttablaðið, Glamour magazine and frettabladid.is under Torg ehf., its subsidiary.
In October 2019, Helgi Magnússon and other investors bought 365 Miðlar's shares in Torg ehf. Helgi had previously bought 50% of Torg ehf's stocks earlier in 2019. As a part of the sale, Ólöf Skaftadóttir stepped down as editor and was replaced with Jón Þórisson. After the sale, the new owners announced their plans to merge Fréttablaðið with the TV station Hringbraut.
- "Iceland, free newspaper Frettabladid rules". Newspaper Innovation. 1 June 2015. Retrieved 3 October 2015.
- Piet Bakker (2002). "Free daily newspapers ‐ business models and strategies". International Journal on Media Management. 4 (3): 180–187. doi:10.1080/14241270209389998.
- Atli Ísleifsson (14 March 2017). "Kaup Vodafone á 365 miðlum undirrituð". Visir.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- Þórður Snær Júlíusson (9 October 2017). "Samkeppniseftirlitið heimilar kaup Vodafone á 365 miðlum". Kjarninn (in Icelandic). Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "Fréttablaðið fær eigin vefmiðil". Mbl.is (in Icelandic). 10 May 2017. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "Hlutafé útgefanda Fréttablaðsins aukið um 150 milljónir". Kjarninn (in Icelandic). 2018-05-19. Retrieved 2018-12-06.
- "Hringbraut og Fréttablaðið í eina sæng". Morgunblaðið (in Icelandic). 18 October 2019. Retrieved 23 October 2019.
- Davíð Stefánsson (18 October 2019). "Helgi Magnússon kaupir eignarhlut 365 miðla í Fréttablaðinu". Fréttablaðið (in Icelandic). Retrieved 23 October 2019.