Tim Ambler (born 1937) is a British organizational theorist, author and academic on the field of Marketing effectiveness. Ambler featured on Marketing's list of the 100 most powerful figures in the industry. He is cited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing as one of the top 50 marketing experts in the world 
Life and career
Ambler was educated at Oxford University (MA in mathematics) and the MIT Sloan School of Management (SM in marketing). Before becoming an academic, Ambler spent some 30 years in business, initially as an accountant, switching to marketing, and his knowledge of the two fields enabled him to develop new approaches to marketing effectiveness and accountability.
As Marketing Director for International Distillers and Vintners (IDV) he was associated with the development of Bailey's Irish Cream, Le Piat d'Or, Smirnoff Vodka and Croft Sherry. More recently he held overall international marketing responsibility for IDV and worked extensively in the USA, Canada, Africa and emerging markets.
He is now a Senior Fellow of the Adam Smith Institute.
His books include Marketing and the Bottom Line (Prentice Hall, 2nd Edition 2003), Doing Business in China (with Morgen Witzel and Chao Xi, Routledge, 3rd Edition 2009) and The Lucky Marketeer (Quiller Press, 2014).
The British Chambers of Commerce published Ambler's report on deregulation., as well as co-authoring 10 annual reports on the cost of regulation to business and the weaknesses of government processes for new regulations.
The Centre for Social Justice published Analysis Paralysis: Assess safeguarding children by results (May 2015).
The Marketing Science Institute of America published the finding of Ambler's extensive research study of the use of marketing metrics in the UK and Spain. They subsequently published a study of Dashboards and Marketing.
- Marketing Effectiveness
- Marketing Performance Measurement and Management
- Marketing Accountability
- The Lucky Marketeer
- Roy A. Young, Allen M. Weiss, David W. Stewart (2006) Marketing Champions: Practical Strategies for Improving Marketing's Power. p. 98
- marketingmagazine. "Power 100 Marketers of 2007".
- hermawan. "Profile of Hermawan Kartajaya".
- Malcolm Warner (2002) International encyclopedia of business and management. p. 4306
- Tim Ambler (1996) The financial times guide to marketing: from advertising to zen. Pitman Pub., 1 May 1996. p. v
- Deregulation or Déjà Vu? UK Deregulation Initiatives 1987/2006, The British Chambers of Commerce, January 2007)
- Road Map to Reform: Deregulation, (2005), The Adam Smith Institute
- Reforming the Regulators, The Adam Smith Institute
- The Financial Crisis: Is regulation cure or cause? (2008) The Adam Smith Institute
- Financial Regulation, (2009) The Adam Smith Institute
- Regulatory Myopia,(2009) The Adam Smith Institute
- Marketing Metrics: A Review of Performance Measures in Use in the UK and Spain, Tim Ambler and Debra Riley, 2000 Marketing Science Institute
- Dashboards and Marketing: Why, What, How and What Research Is Needed? Koen Pauwels, Tim Ambler, Bruce Clark, Pat LaPointe, David Reibstein, Bernd Skiera, Berend Wierenga, and Thorsten Wiesel, 2008 Marketing Science Institute
- Special Issue on Marketing Metrics, Journal of Marketing Management, Vol 15, No 8, November 1999