Sir Timothy Robert Peter Brighouse
|Alma mater||University of Oxford (PGCE 1961)|
He was born in Leicestershire (1940) and was brought up there and in East Anglia. He was educated at Loughborough Grammar School and at Lowestoft County Grammar School and St Catherine's College, Oxford. He took his PGCE at the Oxford University Department of Education in 1961. He began his career as a schoolteacher, becoming a deputy head in a South Wales secondary modern school in 1966.
Later he was Professor of Education at Keele University (1989–1993), and Chief Education Officer in both Oxfordshire (1978–1989) and Birmingham Local Authorities.
Whilst he was at Birmingham, he was described by Conservative Education Secretary John Patten as a "madman....wandering the streets, frightening the children". Brighouse sued and won substantial damages, which he donated to charity. He used some of it to set up the University of the First Age, to encourage out of hours activities to enrich school children's learning.
He was the Schools Commissioner for London between 2002–2007, where he led the London Challenge.
He is married to Liz, who is leader of the Labour group on Oxfordshire County Council. They have four children and eight grandchildren.
- The A-Z of School Improvement: Principles and Practice (28 Mar 2013)
- Inspirations: A collection of commentaries and quotations to promote school improvement (1 Oct 2006)
- What Makes a Good School Now? (6 May 2008)
- How to Improve Your School (21 Jan 1999)
- The Joy of Teaching (15 Apr 2008)
- About our Schools, with Mick Waters (2022)
- Wilby, Peter (24 April 2007). "London schools tsar Tim Brighouse retires". The Guardian. Retrieved 25 February 2008.
- ‘BRIGHOUSE, Sir Timothy Robert Peter’, Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2012 ; online edn, Nov 2012 accessed 19 May 2013
- "Professor Sir Tim Brighouse". Oxford University Department for Education. Oxford University. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "Tim Brighouse – Oxford Education Society". www.oxes.org.uk.
- "Sir Tim Brighouse - Education Fast Forward".
- "Geoff Cooksey obituary". The Guardian. 9 April 2012. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- Morrison, James (3 August 2006). "The University of the First Age: summer schools with a difference". The Independent. London: Independent News and Media. Archived from the original on 7 May 2022. Retrieved 22 March 2009.
- Berliner, Wendy (9 April 2002). "A great crusade". The Guardian. London: Guardian News and Media. Retrieved 22 March 2009.
- http://www.open.ac.uk/students/ceremonies/sites/www.open.ac.uk.students.ceremonies/files/Honorary%20graduate%20cumulative%20list(1).pdf[bare URL PDF]
- "Announcements from the RM Group of education companies - RM plc". www.rm.com.
- "No. 58929". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2008. p. 1.
- "Tim Brighouse, former schools commissioner for London". 2 December 2014.
- Millar, Fiona (1 January 2022). "'Many hold Gove responsible': education guru sets out what's wrong with England's schools". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 1 January 2022. Retrieved 1 January 2022.