Tim Thorney in the studio
|Associated acts||Lisa Dal Bello
Thorney first came to prominence as a recording engineer and songwriter. In 1981, he co-wrote most of Lisa DalBello's Drastic Measures album. In 1983 and 1984, he was a singer, songwriter and keyboard player with The Front, a Canadian studio band that released two albums of pop rock.
In 1995, Tim and his younger brother Tom Thorney were taken on as partners in Great Big Music, which later became Tattoo Music. Through their studio work the Thorney brothers have won advertising awards for many commercial campaigns in both Canada and the U.S., these awards include a Gemini Award and three Daytime Emmy Awards for the hit show Rolie Polie Olie. They have produced jingles for many high-end clients, including FedEx, Sympatico, 7up and the Ford Motor Company.
In addition to his work in film and television, Tim has worked with many Canadian music artists. Some of these collaborations include producing The Rankins' 2001 album Song Dog, co-producing and Jimmy Rankin's 2003 album Handmade (he also co-wrote a track with Jimmy), and co-producing Alanis Morissette's 2004 album So-Called Chaos.
In 2008, Thorney produced country artist Alex J. Robinson's debut album, Never Say Never, which featured the hit single "Breakin' on the Love Thing". In 2010, Thorney continued his association with Robinson, on her album, The Getaway. Also in 2010, Thorney was involved in producing singer-songwriter Andrea Ramolo. Albums for both Robinson and Ramolo were released on Thorniac Records, co-owned by Thorney.
- 1983 Gina's At A Party (Duke Street)
- 1984 Underworld
- 1993 Some Other Time
- 1999 Extenuating Circus Dances
- 2011 Villa Freud
|CAN Country||CAN AC||CAN|
|1993||"Missing Person"||29||27||Some Other Time|
|1994||"Chains" (with Cassandra Vasik)||54|
|"All the Things I Do"||38|
- "Villa Sound About".
- See credits at Drastic Measures (Dalbello album).
- See The Front (Canadian band). A fellow member of The Front was singer-songwriter and producer Joel Feeney.
- http://www.framebyframesound.com/crew/tThorney/index.htm/ Profile of Tom Thorney on framebyframesound.com
- http://radio3.cbc.ca/nmc/artist.aspx?name=TIM-THORNEY&readmore=true Profile on CBC Radio 3's website
- Thorney is described as Robinson's relationship partner: see Alex J. Robinson Myspace Page; retrieved 10-06-16.
- With Kim Zayak. See Interview with Andrea Ramolo; www.canadianinvader.com. Thorney has been associated with Zayak since his youth, when Thorney was in the band "Homer", and Zayak was its manager. See A Trip To The Past; www.robertcerins.com.