Time Machine series
The Time Machine series of science fiction stories for children, published between 1959 and 1989 in Boys' Life magazine, featured a group of American Boy Scouts who acquire an abandoned time machine. The Polaris Patrol visited the future and the past, sometimes recruiting new Scouts. The stories used the time machine as a framework for history lessons, but also explored the consequences of having a time machine (as well as the various technologies the boys who discovered it obtain from the future).
The author was given as Donald Keith for most of the stories, a pseudonym for the father-and-son team of Donald and Keith Monroe. In later years, some stories were credited just to the son, Keith Monroe.
The first story in the series was "The Day We Explored the Future," appearing in the December 1959 Boys' Life on page 18.
Some of the stories were collected in two books, Mutiny in the Time Machine (1963) and Time Machine to the Rescue (1967), with Donald Keith given as the author.
All the Time Machine stories are available from Google Books in its collection of Boys' Life issues.
- Bob Tucker, patrol leader
- Ellsworth "Brains" Baynes, brilliant bookworm who operates the Machine
- Kai Beezee Tentroy, recruited from a city called Troy in 4000 A.D.
- Dion, recruited from ancient Sparta
- Rodney Carver, impetuous Tenderfoot
Stories in Boys' Life
In the following table, "DK" indicates that the story's author is given as Donald Keith, while "KM" means attribution to Keith Monroe. Links are to the copies available at Google Books.
- Donald Keith (author) (1963). Mutiny in the Time Machine. Random House.
- Donald Keith (author) (1967). Time Machine to the Rescue. illustrated by Albert Orbaan. Putnam.
- The Time Machine stories in BOYS' LIFE, 1959-1989, by planettom. March 4, 2011. (Includes synopses of the stories.) Accessed March 31, 2011
- Paging through BOYS' LIFE, Part 1: Donald Keith's Time Machine Stories Archived 2011-07-21 at the Wayback Machine., by William S. Higgins. March 14, 2010. Accessed March 31, 2011.
- Keith, Donald (December 1959). The Day We Explored the Future. Boys' Life. Boy Scouts of America. Retrieved 2010-07-05.