This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Silvio Peter Insana|
February 15, 1948|
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
May 31, 2017 (aged 69)|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Medium||Film, television, voice-over|
(m. 1975; his death 2017)
|Notable works and roles||Three Amigos, Barnyard, Neighbors|
Silvio Peter "Tino" Insana (February 15, 1948 – May 31, 2017) was an American actor, producer, writer, voice artist, and comedian. He is best known as the voice of Uncle Ted on Bobby's World, Bushroot on Darkwing Duck, and Pig in Barnyard and Back at the Barnyard.
Life and career
Insana was born in Chicago, Illinois on February 15, 1948, the son of Silvio A. Insana, a musician, and Hiloray (Swanson). In 1971, Insana co-founded a local comedy troupe known as the West Compass Trio, along with Steve Beshekas and John Belushi. Insana's highly-distinguishable voice has been featured in many animated television series, most notably Disney's Darkwing Duck as Dr. Reginald Bushroot and Bobby's World as Bobby's Uncle Ted. He also voiced Pig in Nickelodeon's animated film Barnyard and its subsequent spin-off TV series.
In the 1980s, Insana wrote two episodes for Police Squad! and an episode of Sledge Hammer!; he also served as story editor on both series. Insana then wrote, produced, and acted in Wedding Band and Masters of Menace.
Insana also made brief acting appearances in such films as Neighbors, Three Amigos, Who's Harry Crumb?, The Couch Trip, Oscar, and Beverly Hills Cop III. He also made guest appearances on situation comedy series such as Night Court and Mad About You.
In 2008, Insana voiced the role of Barf on Spaceballs: The Animated Series (possibly due to Insana's voice being similar to John Candy). He also did voice work in Goof Troop, Camp Candy, The Little Mermaid, Pepper Ann (as Pepper Ann's police officer uncle Jojo), House of Mouse, What-a-Mess, Bonkers, Aladdin, Jungle Cubs, Problem Child, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, Teacher's Pet, and Tom and Jerry: The Movie.
He was the speaking voice of Mr. Grouper in Bubble Guppies.
- Cracking Up (1977)
- Neighbors (1981) - Perry Greavy
- Going Berserk (1983) - Biker Leader
- Three Amigos (1986) - Studio Guard
- Amazon Women on the Moon (1987) - Mr. Sylvio (segment "Video Pirates")
- The Couch Trip (1988) - Jail Guard #1
- For Keeps (1988) - Capt. O'Connell
- Who's Harry Crumb? (1989) - Smokey
- Wedding Band (1989) - Hugh Bowmont
- Why Me? (1990) - Cop #3 at Home
- Masters of Menace (1990) - Horny Hank
- Oscar (1991) - Tiny the Iceman (uncredited)
- Tom and Jerry: The Movie (1992) - Patrolman (voice)
- Beverly Hills Cop III (1994) - Burly Cop
- Barnyard (2006) - Pig the Pig (voice)
- Bobby's World (1990-1998) - Uncle Ted (voice)
- Darkwing Duck (1991) - Dr. Reginald Bushroot (voice)
- Goof Troop (1992) - Colonel Carter (voice)
- The Little Mermaid (1992) - Baracuda (voice)
- Bonkers (1993) - Stew / Scatter Squirrel (voice)
- Aladdin (1994) - Prince Uncouthma (voice)
- Jungle Cubs (1997) - Fat Cat (voice)
- Back at the Barnyard (2007-2011) - Pig the Pig (voice)
- Bubble Guppies (2011-2016) - Mr. Grouper (voice) (final television appearance)
- "Tino Insana". IMDB. Retrieved May 10, 2014.
- "Tino Insana Biography (1948-)". Film Reference. Retrieved June 2, 2017.
- Nunzio, Miriam Di (June 2, 2017). "Second City alum Tino Insana has died at 69". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved June 2, 2017.
- "In Remembrance: Tino Insana". The Second City. June 1, 2017. Retrieved June 2, 2017.