Overview of Toba
Location of Toba in Mie Prefecture
|• Mayor||Kin'ichirō Nakamura|
|• Total||107.34 km2 (41.44 sq mi)|
|• Density||179/km2 (460/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+9 (Japan Standard Time)|
|- Bird||Common gull|
|Address||3-1-1 Toba, Toba-shi, Mie-ken 517-0011|
Toba is located on the northern half of Shima Peninsula in far eastern Mie Prefecture, facing Ise Bay of the Pacific Ocean. The area is famous for oysters and for cultured pearls. Much of the city is within the borders of the Ise-Shima National Park.
Toba administers numerous islands in the Ise Bay, the most important of which are:
The area of modern Toba has been continuously inhabited since before the Jōmon period. During the Sengoku period, the area was under the control of pirates, from whom emerged Kuki Yoshitaka (from Nakiri district) as a dominant ruler. After having dominated the local seacoasts, he established Toba as his capital and built a castle there. Under the Tokugawa shogunate, the castle became the center for Toba Domain.
In the Edo period, Toba flourished in trade and as a transshipment port between Osaka and Edo. The modern city of Toba was formed on November 1, 1954, by the merger of the town of Toba with five villages in Shima District.
- JR Central - Sangū Line
- Kintetsu - Toba Line
- Kintetsu - Shima Line
Commercial fishing and cultivated pearls, together with tourism, form the backbone of the local economy.
- Toba National College of Maritime Technology is one of the five maritime technology colleges in Japan and offers merchant marine programs such as Deck officer, Marine Engineering and other advanced programs related to maritime education.
- Toba has ten elementary schools, five middle schools and one high school.
|Climate data for Toba （1981 - 2010）|
|Average high °C (°F)||9.0
|Average low °C (°F)||1.7
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||77.1
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||159.8||156.4||172.5||179.2||176.4||140.5||174.2||198.1||143.5||151.3||153.9||166.4||1,972.2|
|Source: Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA)|
Sister city relations
Notable people from Toba
- Mikimoto Kōkichi – Entrepreneur and businessman
- Mitsuru Hattori – Manga artist
- Tsunekazu Ishihara – President of The Pokémon Company
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Toba, Mie.|
- Toba travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Geographic data related to Toba, Mie at OpenStreetMap
- Official website (in Japanese)
- A Day Tripper's Guide to Ise and Toba Japanzine by Zack Davisson