Tom Gallo's 2018 album Tell Me the Ghost
|Genres||Indie folk, ambient|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, piano, percussion|
Tom Gallo is an American singer-songwriter and composer. His debut full-length album, Tell Me the Ghost, released in 2018 was featured in Billboard Magazine and on NPR's popular music show All Songs Considered, where it was described as "spare and minimal, emotional and atmospheric".
Gallo's college band was chosen by Kanye West and spoken-word artist Malik Yusef to be featured on an album of theirs along side John Legend, Adam Levine and Common. The album was released, but quickly pulled out of stores over copyright issues. Gallo quit music. Then, on a whim, bought some cheap gear and spent a weekend recording his own music for the first time. He sent the music to Sigur Rós producer Alex Somers, who invited him to Iceland to work in his private studio. These obscure recordings, performed primarily with prepared pianos, field recordings, and spoons played on soup bowls, turned into Gallo's debut EP Continuation Day and landed him a record deal with Malibu, California based Record Collection and a publishing deal with Warp.
In the spring of 2018, Gallo recorded his debut full length album, alone at home with a nylon string guitar and a cheap microphone. This music was heard by Grammy award winner Tchad Blake who offered to mix the album for no cost.
“Tell Me The Ghost”, the title track, features soft guitar riffs and Gallo’s whispery vocals, accompanied by a music video described by Billboard Magazine as "mesmerizing". While the track was the last one written for the album, Gallo felt it was a perfect summary of the entire LP. The black-and-white video, was shot in a house where blues icon Lead Belly lived towards the end of his career, in Laurel Canyon, Los Angeles.
- Tell Me the Ghost (2018)
- Continuation Day (2013)
- Boilen, Bob. "All Songs Considered", NPR, Washington D.C., 26 June 2018. Retrieved on 17 August 2018.
- Harmsen, Natalie. "Tom Gallo gets tender on dreamy “Home (If This Is Love)”", Atwood Magazine, New York, NY, 14 March 2018. Retrieved on 17 August 2018.
- Hilton, Robin. "All Songs Considered", NPR, Washington D.C., 26 June 2018. Retrieved on 17 August 2018.
- Barquist, Robben. "Song Premiere: Tom Gallo’s “My Time with a Glass Lion”", Culture Collide, New York, NY, November 2017. Retrieved on 17 August 2018.
- Aikins, Gabriel. "Tom Gallo reaches into the quiet cosmos on “Venus Every Night”", Substream Magazine, Cleveland, OH, 29 January 2018. Retrieved on 17 August 2018.
- Braca, Nina. "Singer-Songwriter Tom Gallo Confronts Darkness in Haunting Single 'Tell Me The Ghost': Video Premiere", Billboard Magazine, Los Angeles, CA, 28 February 2018. Retrieved on 20 August 2018.
- Braca, Nina. "Singer-Songwriter Tom Gallo Confronts Darkness in Haunting Single 'Tell Me The Ghost': Video Premiere", Billboard Magazine, Los Angeles, CA, 28 February 2018. Retrieved on 17 August 2018.