|Born||9 February 1952|
Birmingham, England
|Thesis||Gestures of Autistic Children (1983)|
|Doctoral advisor||Uta Frith|
|Main interests||Asperger syndrome|
Anthony John Attwood (born 9 February 1952) is a British psychologist notable for his work on Asperger syndrome. He resides in Queensland, Australia, where he is an Associate Professor at Griffith University.
He received an honours degree in psychology from the University of Hull, an M.A. in clinical psychology from the University of Surrey and a Ph.D. from University College London supervised by Uta Frith.
Research and career
His books include Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals, which has been translated into 20 languages and provides information on diagnosis, problems of social relations, sensory issues, motor control and other typical issues which face people with Asperger's and their support networks. His other books include The Complete Guide to Aspergers Syndrome, Exploring Feelings for Young Children with High-Functioning Autism or Aspergers Disorder, From Like to Love for Young People with Aspergers Syndrome (Autism Spectrum Disorder): Learning How to Express and Enjoy Affection with Family and Friends.
Attwood has a clinical practice at his diagnostic and treatment clinic for children and adults with Asperger's Syndrome, in Brisbane, begun in 1992.
- Tony Attwood (1998-01-01). Asperger's syndrome. Jessica Kingsley Pub. ISBN 978-1-85302-577-8.
- Tony Attwood (2006-11-01). The complete guide to Asperger's syndrome. Jessica Kingsley Pub. ISBN 978-1-84310-495-7.
- Tony Attwood (2004-11-01). Exploring Feelings. Future Horizons Inc. ISBN 978-1-932565-21-8.
- Tony Attwood (2004-11-01). Exploring Feelings: Anxiety. Future Horizons Inc. ISBN 978-1-932565-22-5.
- Tony Attwood (2004-09-15). Asperger's Diagnostic Assessment. ISBN 978-1-932565-17-1.
- Attwood, Tony. "Exploring Feelings DVD Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to Manage Anxiety, Sadness, and Anger" ISBN 978-1-932565-61-4
- Tony Attwood (2013). From Like to Love for Young People with Aspergers Syndrome (Autism Spectrum Disorder): Learning How to Express and Enjoy Affection with Family and Friends. Jessica Kingsley Pub. ISBN 978-0-857007-77-3.
Selected recent papers
- Sofronoff K, Attwood T, Hinton S, Levin I. "A Randomized Controlled Trial of a Cognitive Behavioural Intervention for Anger Management in Children Diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome." Autism Dev Disord. 2006 Nov 3. PMID 17082978
- Sofronoff K, Attwood T, Hinton S. "A randomised controlled trial of a CBT intervention for anxiety in children with Asperger syndrome. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2005 Nov;46(11):1152-60. PMID 16238662
- Attwood T. "Frameworks for behavioral interventions." Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2003 Jan;12(1):65-86. doi:10.1016/S1056-4993(02)00054-8 PMID 12512399 (A review article)
- Foreword and Afterword for Lucy Blackman's autobiographic account Lucy's Story: Autism and Other Adventures (2001)
- Foreword for Robin and the White Rabbit by Åse Brunnström and Emma Lindström ISBN 978-1-932565-61-4.
- Tony Attwood's web site. Includes autobiographical information (requires Java).
- "About Asperger's" by Stephen Fay, Ellsworth (Maine) American, 29 July 2004, retrieved 23 December 2005.
- "Workshop for Partners of People with Asperger's Syndrome" Archived February 24, 2006, at the Wayback Machine. by Tony Attwood, 2 May 2000, retrieved 12 January 2006.
- Attwood, Anthony John. (1983). Gestures of autistic children (PhD thesis). University College London (University of London). OCLC 50675342.
- "Meet Tony Attwood" (PDF). Autism Asperger's Digest Magazine. Future Horizons, Inc. March–April 2007. pp. 30–31. Retrieved 17 October 2013.[dead link]
|This autism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|