Before the family Tofieldiaceae was established in 1995, Triantha and related genera were usually placed in Nartheciaceae, Liliaceae, or Melanthiaceae, but molecular phylogenetic studies of monocots and Alismatales have shown that inclusion of Triantha etc. in these families makes them polyphyletic.
Some authors have included Triantha within the genus Tofieldia. Triantha is distinguished from Tofieldia by its glandular-pubescent stems and by the presence of seed appendages. In 2011, a study of two nuclear genes and ten chloroplast genes showed that Triantha and Tofieldia are monophyletic and closely related sister clades. The species of Triantha are so closely related that the authors could not resolve any relationships among them.
- Triantha glutinosa (Michx.) Baker - sticky asphodel - Canada, Alaska, Great Lakes region, Maine, scattered other spots in USA
- Triantha japonica (Miq.) Baker - Honshu
- Triantha occidentalis (S.Wats.) R.R.Gates-western false asphodel - Western Canada (Alb, BC), western United States (AK WA OR CA ID MT WY)
- Triantha racemosa (Walter) Small-coastal false asphodel - Coastal Plain of United States from TX to NJ
- "Tropicos | Name - Triantha (Nutt.) Baker". www.tropicos.org. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "World Checklist of Selected Plant Families: Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew". apps.kew.org. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- Baker, John Gilbert. 1879. Journal of the Linnean Society, Botany 17(2): 490-491 in Latin
- "Triantha". Natural Resources Conservation Service PLANTS Database. USDA. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- "Triantha in Flora of North America @ efloras.org". www.efloras.org. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- Biota of North America Program 2013 county distribution maps Image
- Hiroshi Azuma and Hiroshi Tobe. 2011. "Molecular phylogenetic analyses of Tofieldiaceae (Alismatales): family circumscription and intergeneric relationships". Journal of Plant Research 124(3):349-357. doi:10.1007/s10265-010-0387-5
- "Tofieldia in Flora of North America @ efloras.org". www.efloras.org. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
|This monocot-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|