Trobriand Music Company
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Trobriand Music Company is a music publishing company located in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. The company is principally engaged in the publication and distribution of the musical works of American composer, William P. Perry. Among the major works represented by Trobriand are Perry's Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra, Summer Nocturne for Flute and Orchestra, the Jamestown Concerto for Cello and Orchestra, the orchestral suite from Life on the Mississippi and the ballet The Wind in the Willows, based on the Broadway stage musical that starred Nathan Lane. Trobriand Music is also the publisher and licensor of the Mark Twain stage musical Mark Twain: The Musical, for which William Perry wrote the music and lyrics.
A number of major composers and arrangers have contributed their talents to the compositions represented in the Trobriand catalogue. Included among these are William David Brohn, Richard Hayman, Peter Breiner, Donald Sosin and Robert Nowak.
Trobriand has also commissioned works for important contemporary soloists. This includes a Trumpet Concerto for Armando Ghitalla, the Jamestown Concerto for Cello and Orchestra for Yehuda Hanani, the Summer Nocturne for flutist Keith Bryan and the Gemini Concerto for Violin, Piano and Orchestra for the Albek Duo.
The company has been affiliated with the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) since 1975. Trobriand publications are represented on a number of record labels including Naxos, Bridge, Opus, Premier, and LML Music.
- Variety November 25, 1980 "A splendid adaptation"
- New York Magazine October 31, 1983
- Washington Post August 8, 1983
- New York Times June 28, 1987 "An extravaganza of singing, acting and dancing"
- New York Daily News August 7, 1996 Review by Howard Kissel
- Armando Ghitalla: A Trumpet Legacy William Perry, composer and conductor (Bridge 2007)
- The Innocents Abroad Mark Twain Film Scores (Naxos, 2008)
- Jamestown Concerto American Music for Cello and Orchestra (Naxos, 2008)
- Mr. Mark Twain Original Cast Recording (LML 2009)
- The Romance of the Silver Screen (Naxos, 2009)