|Origin||Raleigh, North Carolina|
Their 2010 single, "Do the John Wall," was originally released by KAIRIZMIC Music, whose artist management and marketing pushed the song to chart as a top 100 digital single on iTunes and in Billboard Magazine, peaking at number 76 on the Billboard Hot 100. Do the John Wall was later re-released on Universal Republic after successfully garnering the group a major recording contract due to charting on iTunes and Billboard Magazine, and receiving over ten million views on YouTube. Troop 41's Do the John Wall single was produced by Darius "DeeMoney Beatz" Lassiter, and Executive Produced by Sigh Griffin. The song is based on a Kentucky-based dance, and inspired by seeing NBA basketball player John Wall performing the dance.
- Tristian Brown - (T-Breezy), who graduated from Southeast Raleigh Magnet High School
- Lelynd Darkes (Lil Lee), who graduated from Needham B. Broughton High School
- Dakare Wilder (Lil Inferno), who graduated from William G. Enloe High School
All three members graduated from John W. Ligon Middle School in Raleigh, North Carolina. There, they took a freestyle poetry class taught by Mr. Lester Francis. In the class, there were often arguments about whether or not rap was considered poetry. Mr. Francis believed that it was and allowed them to write rap in his class. There, they got the inspiration to become professional rappers. In 2011, after their hit single, "Do the John Wall" came out, they came back to Ligon to give a private performance for the student body. The name, Troop 41, was derived from their ages at the time. By adding together their respective ages, they got the number 41.
Do the John Wall
"Do the John Wall" is a hip-hop dance song by Troop 41. This song is based on the John Wall Dance, which came from Kentucky Wildcats/Washington Wizards player John Wall. It was released onto iTunes according to reports on May 26, 2010.
The remix of this song features Young Money rapper Lil Chuckee.
It reached #76 on the Billboard Hot 100 during the week of January 11, 2011.
Troop 41 was featured on Universal Music rapper Young Scrap's song "Text Me" in 2010.
Troop 41's Official Tour DJ is DJ Bobby Drake, Also based out of NC.
- "Charts & Awards", Allmusic, retrieved 2011-07-12
- Menconi, David (2010) "Local rap group gets record deal", News & Observer, December 19, 2010, retrieved 2011-07-12
- "Songs You Must Hear Now!", SPIN, August 2010, p. 52, retrieved 2011-07-12
- Trust, Gary (2010) "Weekly Chart Notes: P!nk, 'Glee' Cast, Rick Ross", Billboard, December 16, 2010, retrieved 2011-07-12
- http://www.whawa.com/index2.php?code=65&code1=2863[dead link]