Troost Avenue is one of the major streets in the Kansas City, Mo area. Troost is 10.7 miles long which begins at 4th Street and ends at Bannister Road. The street is name after the first physician to reside in Kansas City, Dr. Benoist Troost. Dr. Troost was born November 17, 1786 in Holland and moved to the United States in 1815, settling in Independence, Mo in 1844. Troost has been continuously growing since 1834 into the 1990s. Movie theatres and apartments are only a few contributors to its development according to a 1998 article featured in Pitch Weekly. After the Town of Kansas (which is now the city of Kansas City, Missouri) was established in 1850, Dr. Troost became one of the governing trustees. In the 1850s, he was involved in publishing the first newspaper, the Kansas City Enterprise. He was also one of the originators of the first Chamber of Commerce in 1857. He died February 8, 1859 and is buried at the Mount St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery at 2201 Cleveland Avenue.
Troost Avenue has historically served as a racial dividing line in Kansas City;x with more white residents living west of Troost and more black residents living to the east. For some time, this "line" was legally enforced under Jim Crow laws.
Points of interest along Troost
- City Union Mission is located at 10th & Troost and their administration office is located at 11th & Troost.
- Greyhound Bus Station is located at 1101 Troost.
- Manual Career & Technical Center is located near Truman Road & Troost.
- Kansas City Area Transportation Authority (RideKC) is located near 18th & Troost.
- Kansas City, Missouri Health Department is located at 2400 Troost.
- Longfellow Heights Apartments is located from 25th St to 27th St.
- Kansas City Public Schools Board of Education is located at 2901 Troost.
- Operation Breakthrough is located at 3039 Troost.
- Kansas City Police Department - Central Patrol is located near Linwood Boulevard.
- DeLaSalle High School is located at 3737 Troost.
- 39th & Troost MetroCenter.
- Bishop Sullivan Center is located at 3936 Troost.
- Community LINC is located at 4012 and 4014 Troost.
- Cleaver II Blvd Shoppes is located at Emanuel Cleaver II Boulevard/47th St & Troost.
- Anita B. Gorman Conservation Discovery Center is located at 4750 Troost.
- Brush Creek is located at Volker Boulevard & Troost.
- Stowers Institute for Medical Research is located at 50th & Troost.
- University of Missouri–Kansas City is located at 51st & Troost.
- Rockhurst University is located at 52nd & Troost.
- St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church is located at 52nd & Troost.
- Rockhurst University Community Center is located at 5401 Troost.
- Troost Elementary School is located near 59th & Troost.
- The Landing Mall is located at 63rd & Troost.
- Forest Hill & Calvary Cemetery is located at 6901 Troost.
- 75th & Troost MetroCenter.
- Contagious Life Church is located at 7546 Troost.
- 7th Heaven is located at 7621 Troost Ave, Kansas City, MO 64131.
Named After "Troost"
- Route 25 - Troost is a city transportation bus route.
- Troost Elementary is a comprehensive elementary school.
- Troost Lake is a lake at 27th Street & Paseo.
- Troost Park is a park at 31st Street & Paseo.
- Troost Avenue MAX Line is a bus rapid transit route.
- "Benoist Troost"; https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/21451 (accessed 25 March 2009).
- Troost Avenue Festival
- Troost Avenue: A Study in Community Building
- We Are Superman: The Transformation of 31st & Troost
|This Missouri road-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|