Truth or Dare (2017 film)
|Truth or Dare|
|Written by||Thommy Hutson|
|Directed by||Nick Simon|
|Music by||Nima Fakhrara|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Executive producer(s)||Paul Hertzberg|
|Producer(s)||Lisa M. Hansen|
German Michael Torres
|Production company(s)||CineTel Films|
Angel Cake Truth
Truth or Dare is a 2017 American supernatural horror television film co-written by Thommy Hutson and Ethan Lawrence and directed by Nick Simon. The film stars Cassandra Scerbo, Brytni Sarpy, Mason Dye, Harvey Guillen, Alexxis Lemire, Luke Baines, Ricardo Hoyos, Christina Masterson, and Heather Langenkamp. The plot focuses on a group of eight college students who rent a house haunted by a vengeful spirit who lost a game of truth or dare several years earlier. The group decide to play the game and are forced to follow through or face deadly consequences. The film premiered on Syfy on October 8, 2017 and was met to generally positive reviews.
For Halloween, a group of eight college friends rent a house supposedly haunted by a vengeful spirit who lost at a deadly game of truth or dare several years beforehand. When the group decide to play the game, they are forced to answer each humiliating truth honestly and act upon each increasingly alarming dare asking them to do violent acts to themselves and each other or risk death by the spirit.
- Cassandra Scerbo as Alex Colshis
- Brytni Sarpy as Maddie Sotarez
- Mason Dye as Tyler Pemhart
- Harvey Guillen as Holt Thorne
- Alexxis Lemire as Jessie Havnell
- Luke Baines as Carter Boyle
- Ricardo Hoyos as Luke Wyler
- Christina Masterson as Addison Troy
- Heather Langenkamp as Donna Boone
- Taylor Lyons as Young Donna
- Jonathan Mercedes as Johnny Milsner
Timothy Rawles of iHorror.com praised the acting, direction, and special effects stating:
- "Truth or Dare is fun as soon as it reels you in and that's pretty much from the get-go. I appreciated the brevity in some of the character development, the actors doing fine without a complicated backstory."
- "Bloody, cringeworthy and fast-paced and body parts as collateral, the final 30-minutes of Truth or Dare is not for the squeamish. Director Nick Simon knows how to trigger viewers to watch with their eyes-through-their-fingers, and let's just say novices to the genre are going to have a rough time in the final bloody reel. Double-dipping into past genre storylines with characters to spare, Truth or Dare still satisfies thanks to good acting, piano wire tension and the conscious desire to find out how it all ends.
- "...the finale is unusually intelligent for this type of genre, leaving open the wonderful possibility of a sequel or hopefully a successful franchise."
Rawles also praised Heather Langenkamp's performance in the film:
- "Original Nightmare on Elm Street alumna Heather Langenkamp makes an appearance, this time it is she who is facially scarred. Her purpose is to give exposition on what needs to happen to beat the ghost at its own game. Her cameo left me yearning to see this understated actress in other projects."
The film has a rating of 5.2 stars on IMDB.
- Moore, Debi (September 21, 2017). "Exclusive Trailer Debut for Nick Simon's Truth or Dare". Dread Central. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- Rawles, Timothy (September 22, 2017). "Heather Langenkamp Returns in 'Truth or Dare'". iHorror.com. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- Rawles, Kevin (April 13, 2018). "Film Review: Truth or Dare". thetimes.co.uk. Retrieved November 22, 2018.
- Rawles, Timothy (September 29, 2017). "Don't Dismiss Syfy's 'Truth or Dare'". iHorror.com. Retrieved September 30, 2017.