Turku Philharmonic Orchestra
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Turku Philharmonic Orchestra|
|Concert hall||Turku Concert Hall|
The Turku Philharmonic Orchestra (Finnish: Turun Filharmoninen Orkesteri) is a Finnish orchestra based in Turku, Finland. The oldest orchestra in Finland, the Turku Philharmonic is resident at the Turku Concert Hall, the first purpose-built concert hall in Finland, completed in 1952.
The orchestra was founded in 1790 under the name Turun Soitannollinen Seura (Musical Society of Turku). In 1927, the municipality of Turku took ownership of the ensemble, with Tauno Hannikainen as the orchestra's first chief conductor under municipal management. The orchestra roster currently numbers 74 musicians.
The orchestra released its first commercial recording in 1979. It has since recorded commercially for such labels as Ondine, Finlandia, and Naxos. With Segerstam, the orchestra has released a series of albums for Naxos of the music of Jean Sibelius. The orchestra began to release monthly streaming videos of selected concerts in September 2016.
- Tauno Hannikainen (1927-1928)
- Toivo Haapanen (1928-1929)
- Tauno Hannikainen (1929-1939)
- Eero Selin (1940-1941)
- Ole Edgren (1941-1962)
- Jorma Panula (1963-1965)
- Paavo Rautio (1965-1974)
- Pertti Pekkanen (1974-1986)
- Igor Bezrodnyi (1986-1990)
- Jacques Mercier (1990-1995)
- Hannu Lintu (1998-2001)
- Tibor Bogányi (2003-2006)
- Petri Sakari (2007-2011)
- Leif Segerstam (2012–present)
- Mattias Mattila (2012-01-07). "Segerstam haki ulottuvuuksia uudesta instrumentistaan". Turun Sanomat. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- Erica Jeal (2015-05-28). "Sibelius: King Christian II CD review - poignant understatement". The Guardian. Retrieved 2016-12-26.
- Turku Philharmonic Orchestra official English website
- Turku Philharmonic Orchestra on Suosio (Association of Finnish Symphony Orchestras)
- David Hurwitz, 'More Excellent Rare Sibelius from Segerstam on Naxos'. Review from ClassicsToday.com
- Paul Corfield Godfrey, September 2015 review, MusicWeb International page
- Colin Anderson, 'Sibelius’s music for Scaramouche – Turku Philharmonic Orchestra/Leif Segerstam [Naxos]'. Classical Source website, June 2016