|Single by David Nail|
|from the album I'm About to Come Alive|
|Released||January 25, 2010|
|Format||Airplay, music download|
|Length||4:15 (radio edit)
4:59 (album version)
|David Nail singles chronology|
"Turning Home" is a song written by Kenny Chesney and Scooter Carusoe, and recorded by American country music singer David Nail. It was released in January 2010 as the third single from Nail's debut album I'm About to Come Alive, as well as his fourth single release overall.
Production and writing
In "Turning Home," the narrator recalls events from his high school days, referring to that time of his life as his "glory days." It includes a prominent piano section, because Nail wanted a strong piano player for the album. Nail told The Tennesseean that he identified with the song's theme: "I just knew that this was that song that I had been searching for[…]Being from a small town in southeast Missouri, all the imagery in the song was something that I could really relate to."
Bobby Peacock of Roughstock gave a mostly favorable review, considering the song "a bit overproduced" but saying that Nail "delivers the song powerfully." Juli Thanki of Engine 145 gave the song a thumbs-down, saying that she considered the song's production "overblown" in its latter half. She thought that it was one of the weakest-written tracks on the album, but praised Nail's "strong, pleasant voice."
The video was directed by Stephen Shepherd and premiered on CMT on March 12, 2010. It was shot in black-and-white and on location in his hometown of Kennett, Missouri. It shows Nail giving an impromptu performance in two costumes. He first sings with a hat, wristwatch, and short-sleeved shirt, making him completely unrecognizable. The second & third verses and chorouses feature him singing in a black shirt, no hat, and bracelet. Scenes also feature him singing on the bleachers of his high school football field. During the performance, his band also appears.
"Turning Home" debuted at number 49 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts dated for the week ending February 13, 2010. The song entered that chart's Top 40 at number 39 on the chart dated for March 6, 2010, becoming Nail's second Top 40 hit on that chart. In August, it peaked at number 20 on the country chart.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||20|
|US Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100||17|
- Thanki, Juli (5 January 2010). "David Nail — "Turning Home"". Engine 145. Retrieved 26 February 2010.
- Watts, Cindy (24 January 2010). "David Nail's success starts at 'Red Light'". The Tennesseean. Retrieved 26 February 2010.
- Payne, Joshua (15 May 2009). "Kennett native to release new country album, 'I'm About to Come Alive'". Daily Dunkin Democrat. Retrieved 26 February 2010.
- Peacock, Bobby (27 February 2010). "David Nail — "Turning Home"". Roughstock. Retrieved 26 February 2010.
- Morris, Edward (6 February 2010). "Lady Antebellum's Need You Now Is America's Bestselling Album". Retrieved 26 February 2010.
- "David Nail – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for David Nail.
- Whitburn, Joel (2011). Top Pop Singles 1955–2010. Record Research, Inc. p. 634. ISBN 0-89820-188-8.