Twiglets are a wheat-based snack with a "distinctive knobbly shape" similar to that of a small twig. The taste of Twiglets derives from the yeast extract used in its coating, and has been compared to that of Marmite. They are marketed in the United Kingdom and packaged in 24 g, 45 g, 105 g and 150 g bags and in 200 g tubs.
Twiglets were originally launched in 1932 by Peek Freans after being invented by the company's French technical manager, Rondalin Zwadoodie. Today, Twiglets are manufactured in Aintree by United Biscuits subsidiary Jacob's. In the early 1990s, a range of tangy Worcester Sauce Twiglets was introduced. These were not as popular as the original flavour and had been withdrawn by the end of the decade.
In the media
- Twiglets are the favourite snack of British comedian Justin Lee Collins, footballer Ian Wright, former Prime Minister David Cameron, and chef Nigella Lawson.
- In the episode Do-It-Yourself Mr. Bean, Mr Bean runs out of Twiglets at his New Year's Eve party and substitutes real twigs coated with Marmite.
- Twiglets were a frequent gag reference on the original UK version of the TV game show Whose Line Is It Anyway?.
- An internet meme was created from Justin Bieber eating a Twiglet on the Alan Carr talk show.
- In season 1, episode 3 of the UK TV series Spaced, Simon Pegg's character Tim states "I'm not supposed to eat Twiglets" because "they make me violent".
- "United Biscuits - Twiglets". Retrieved 8 June 2011.
- Snack Food, Volume 80. Harcourt Brace Jovanovich Publications. 1991.
Twiglets appeared to be flavored with Marmite yeast extract, that most incorrigibly British of household nutritional brands...
- "About us". Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- Long, David (2013-10-17). Bizarre London: Discover the Capital's Secrets & Surprises. Little, Brown Book Group. ISBN 9781472109330.
- Twiglets on BBC Good Food
- Good times
- We're British innit
- "Bieber Eating A Twiglet (On A Talk Show)". YouTube. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
|This brand-name food or drink product–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|