Federal Building (Sacramento)
U.S. Post Office, Courthouse and Federal Building, Sacramento
Sacramento Federal Building, 2012
|Location||801 I St., Sacramento, California|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architect||Starks & Flanders|
|Architectural style||French Renaissance Revival; Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals|
|NRHP Reference #||80000835|
|Added to NRHP||January 25, 1980|
The Federal Building, formerly the U.S. Post Office, Courthouse and Federal Building, is located in Downtown Sacramento, California. It currently serves as a courthouse for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California.
The Federal Building was designed by the local firm Starks and Flanders, who also designed the Elks Tower, the Alhambra Theatre, and the C. K. McClatchy High School. It reflects several early 20th Century Revival architectural styles, including Neoclassical, and especially a simplified Renaissance Revival style from the original French Renaissance architecture era. Construction was completed in 1933. The legacy firm of Starks and Flanders is Nacht & Lewis Architects which is still operating in Sacramento.
The building has served historically as a courthouse, a post office, and a government office building.
It has served the United States District Court for the Northern District of California during 1933-1966 — and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California from 1966–present.
The post office moved to 560 J Street on July 31, 2012.
- List of United States federal courthouses in California
- History of Sacramento, California
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Sacramento County, California
- California Historical Landmarks in Sacramento County, California
- Nacht & Lewis Architects 
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Viewpoints: Gem of a building deserves new life - History - The Sacramento Bee".
- "About - Nacht & Lewis". nachtlewis.com. Retrieved 2016-08-10.
Media related to Federal Building (Sacramento) at Wikimedia Commons
- Sacramento Federal Building at the General Services Administration website
- Nacht & Lewis History Project 
|This article about a property in Sacramento County, California on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to Sacramento, California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|