U. B. Desai
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Uday B. Desai
|Alma mater||Johns Hopkins University, University at Buffalo, IIT Kanpur|
|Awards||Fellow, Indian National Science Academy|
|Institutions||Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad|
Uday B. Desai is an Indian academician and present and founding Director of Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad. He is building IIT Hyderabad and credited for taking it to rank among the top 10 engineering colleges in India. He was mentor director of IIT Bhilai from Aug 2016 to Jan 2017 and present mentor Director for IIIT Chittoor.
Uday Desai received his B. Tech. degree from IIT Kanpur in 1974, did his M.S. from the State University of New York, Buffalo, in 1976, and Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, U.S.A. in 1979. All in electrical engineering.
From 1979 to 1984 he was an Assistant Professor in the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department at Washington State University, Pullman, WA, U.S.A., and an Associate Professor at the same University from 1984 to 1987.
From 1987 to May 2009 he was a Professor in the Electrical Engineering Department at the Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay. He was Dean of Students at IIT-Bombay from Aug 2000 to July 2002. He has held Visiting Associate Professor's position at Arizona State University, Purdue University, and Stanford University. He was a visiting Professor at EPFL, Lausanne during the summer of 2002. From July 2002 to June 2004 he was the Director of HP-IITM R and D Lab. at IIT Madras.
His research interest is in Cyber physical systems, Internet of things, digital fabrication, wireless communication, cognitive radio, wireless sensor networks and statistical signal processing. He has been a coauthor of 9 research monographs an author of nearly 300 peered reviewed papers in international journals and conferences.
Director, IIT Hyderabad
Awards and Honors
- In 2015 Dr. Desai received the Outstanding Alumni award from University of Buffalo
- 2016 he received the Distinguished Alumni Award from IIT Kanpur.
- Dr. Desai is a Fellow of INSA (Indian National Science Academy)
- Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE)
- Fellow of The Institution of Electronic & Telecommunication Engineers (IETE)
- Senior Member of IEEE.
- He is the recipient of J C Bose Fellowship.
- Excellence in Teaching Award from IIT-Bombay for 2007
He is on the board of Tata Communications Limited and several educational institute and government committees. He is a member on various Boards and Governing Council of several academic institutions and organizations. He is one of the founding members of COMSNETS and also Society for Cancer Research and Communication. He was the Chair for IEEE Bombay Section 2006-2008. He was also on the Visitation Panel for University of Ghana.
- Cyber Physical Systems
- Wireless Communication
- Signal processing
- Wireless Sensor Networks
- Adaptive signal processing
- Information and Communication Technology for Socioeconomic Development
- Image Processing and Computer Vision
- Wavelets and Multiresolution analysis
- Artificial neural networks
- Biomedical Signal and Image Processing
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy (2005)
- Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering
- Recipient of J. C. Bose Fellowship
- Fellow, Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers
- Electrical Dept, IIT Bombay (20 March 2009). "U. B. Desai". Ee.iitb.ac.in. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Welcome to Uday B. Desai's Home Page". Iith.ac.in. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- The Year Book 2014 // Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi