University of the Philippines College of Science
Unibersidad ng Pilipinas Diliman - Dalubhasaan ng Agham
|Type||University of the Philippines College (officially Degree-Granting Unit)|
|Established||October 26, 1983|
|Dean||Jose Maria P. Balmaceda, Ph.D.|
|147 Ph.D. (Sem 1, 2010-11)|
182 (Ph.D., Sem 1, 2010-11)
|Website||UP College of Science|
The college is not only the largest, but also a foremost pacesetter of academic excellence in the university due its recognition as the national center of excellence in academics and research in the field of natural sciences and mathematics, and boasts of the largest concentration of Ph.D. holders in its faculty in the whole country.
The college is composed of eight institutes, two inter-programs and three affiliated units.
|Deans of the|
College of Science
University of the Philippines Diliman
|Dr. Roger Posadas||1983–1993|
|Dr. Danilo Yanga||1993–1999|
|Dr. Rhodora Azanza||1999–2006|
|Dr. Caesar Saloma||2006–2011|
|Dr. Ronald Banzon||March–April 2011|
|Dr. Jose Maria P. Balmaceda||May 2011|
|Dr. Jose Maria P. Balmaceda||June 2011–present|
- National Institute of Geological Sciences (NIGS)
- National Institute of Physics, UP Diliman (NIP)
- National Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology-Diliman (NIMBB)
- Institute of Biology (IB)
- Institute of Chemistry (IC)
- Institute of Mathematics (I-MATH)
- Marine Science Institute (MSI)
- Institute of Environmental Science and Meteorology (IESM)
Academic Department and Inter-programs
- Natural Sciences Research Institute (NSRI)
- Computational Science Research Center (CSRC)
- UPD College of Science Library (CSLib)
Scientia (Latin for science) is the official student publication of the College. It is the only student college publication which has its own office located at the basement of the CSLAB Building.
Access is the newsletter published by the College of Science Student Council (CSSC). For the past two academic years prior to this year, the publication is incorporated into Scientia.
National Centers of Excellence
As of 2016, the Commission on Higher Education of the Philippines has identified 23 centers of excellence (COEs) in U.P. Diliman, eight (8) of which can be found in the College of Science. (See all UP Diliman Centers of Excellence/Development).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of the Philippines College of Science.|