|Traded as||NASDAQ: UTSI|
|Tim Ti (CEO)
Zhaochen Huang (COO)
|Products||Packet optical networking equipment, Wireless products, Broadband access products, SDN|
|Revenue||101.6 million USD (2015)|
|-9.8 million USD (2015)|
Number of employees
UTStarcom is a global telecom infrastructure provider headquartered in Hong Kong. The company develops and supplies a broad range of telecommunication solutions to communications service providers and network operators including fixed and mobile network operators, as well as to enterprises. Historically, the company has focused on selling to China but also sell to Africa, India, Central and Latin America and the Middle East.
The Company's products are designed to work with existing telecommunications infrastructure to provide low-cost voice and data services for access to both wireless (Wi-Fi) and fixed line) products and solutions, optimized for mobile backhaul, metro aggregation, broadband access and Wi-Fi data. As of 2015, the company focuses on two core areas: broadband and next-generation networks (NGN).
The company's headquarters are in Beijing, China with other business and R&D centers located in Japan, South Korea, India, the Middle East and Europe.
The company was founded in 1995 as a merger between Unitech and Starcom Networks to form UTStarcom. Unitech was founded in 1991 by Hong Liang Lu, a Chinese-born, American-educated entrepreneur, as Unitech Telecom and focused on the telecommunications markets in China, with its initial presence in China established in 1993 in Hangzhou. Starcom Networks was founded in 1991 by Ying Wu and a team who had worked together at Bell Labs in New Jersey.
After several years of trying to build its business in China, UTStarcom launched the Personal Handy-phone System, also known as the Personal Handy-phone System, a technology originally developed in Japan.
In March 2000, UTStarcom went public on the NASDAQ exchange.
In July 2008, UTStarcom sold its Personal Communications Devices to AIG Investments.
In 2010, UTStarcom moved the company's headquarters to Beijing, China.
- "UTSI At a Glance"
- "UTStarcom, Inc. – Company Profile, Information, Business Description, History, Background Information on UTStarcom, Inc."
- "Profile: UTStarcom Holdings Corp (UTSI.O)"
- Maureen McKelvey; Sharmistha Bagchi-Sen (27 February 2015). Innovation Spaces in Asia: Entrepreneurs, Multinational Enterprises and Policy. Edward Elgar Publishing. pp. 175–. ISBN 978-1-78347-568-1.
- AnnaLee Saxenian (2007). The New Argonauts: Regional Advantage in a Global Economy. Harvard University Press. pp. 250–. ISBN 978-0-674-02566-0.
- UTStarcom Announces Strategic Divestiture of its Personal Communications Division
- UTStarcom to Relocate Headquarters Back to China; to Revamp Core Services