Under the Tonto Rim (1947 film)
|Under the Tonto Rim|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Lew Landers|
|Produced by||Herman Schlom|
|Screenplay by||Norman Houston|
|Based on||Under the Tonto Rim
by Zane Grey
|Music by||Paul Sawtell|
|Cinematography||J. Roy Hunt|
|Edited by||Lyle Boyer|
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures|
Under the Tonto Rim is a 1947 American Western film directed by Lew Landers and starring Tim Holt, Nan Leslie, and Richard Martin. Written by Norman Houston and based on the novel Under the Tonto Rim by Zane Grey, the film is about a gang of outlaws who rob a stagecoach and kill one of the drivers. The stagecoach owner goes undercover to learn the identities and location of the gang leaders. The novel had been adapted to film twice before, in 1928 and 1933, under the same title.
A cowboy goes undercover to get the gang who killed his driver.
- Tim Holt as Brad Canfield
- Nan Leslie as Lucy Dennison
- Richard Martin as Chito Rafferty
- Richard Powers as Dennison
- Carol Forman as Juanita
- Tony Barrett as Roy Patton
- Harry Harvey as Sheriff
- Robert Clarke as Hooker
- Jay Norris as Andy
- Lex Barker as Joe, deputy
- Steve Savage as Curly
- Richard Foote as Henry, deputy
In the film, Tim Holt's character smokes a cigarette and has a drink, which was unusual for cowboy stars at the time.
- "Under the Tonto Rim". Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- Jewell, Richard, and Vernon Harbin (1982). The RKO Story. New Rochelle: Arlington House, p. 221.
- SINCLAIR LEWIS SET TO DO SCREEN PLAY: Author Will Write 'Adam and Eve,' Comedy Drama, as a Film for Leo McCarey By THOMAS F. BRADY Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 08 Jan 1947: 28.
- "Westerns of Tim Holt" accessed 4 June 2013