Unhinged (2020 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Derrick Borte|
|Written by||Carl Ellsworth|
|Music by||David Buckley|
|Distributed by||Solstice Studios|
|Box office||$1.6 million|
Unhinged is a 2020 American thriller film directed by Derrick Borte, from a screenplay by Carl Ellsworth. The film stars Russell Crowe, Caren Pistorius, Gabriel Bateman, Jimmi Simpson and Austin P. McKenzie. The film follows a young woman who is harassed by a seemingly unstable stranger following a road rage incident.
Unhinged was theatrically released by Solstice Studios in Germany on July 16, 2020 and is scheduled to be released in the United States on August 21, 2020. It received mixed reviews from critics.
This article's plot summary may be too long or excessively detailed. (July 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
While driving Kyle to school one day, Rachel fails to signal the car in front to go after a red light. Losing patience, Rachel drives past the car. The owner of the car (Russell Crowe) soon catches up to her, demanding an apology despite her and Kyle's pleas to leave them alone. Things only escalate quickly when the stranger begins to stalk Rachel and Kyle, often attacking nearby pedestrians who try to intervene.
When Rachel tries to contact her friend and divorce lawyer, Andy (Jimmi Simpson), for help, the stranger has already caught up to the latter; viciously beating Andy to death.
The stranger continues to stalk Rachel causing chaos and destruction along a highway, injuring a number of people. A police officer is killed by the stranger just after Rachel and Kyle try to get his attention to alert him of the stranger following them.
Rachel soon comes face-to-face with the stranger when he invades her mother’s house. He attacks Kyle and Rachel before being stabbed in the eye by Rachel. The police arrive and Rachel and Kyle drive away.
- Russell Crowe as Tom Cooper, a mentally unstable stranger.
- Caren Pistorius as Rachel Hunter, Kyle's mother.
- Gabriel Bateman as Kyle Hunter, Rachel's son.
- Jimmi Simpson as Andy, Rachel's friend and a divorce lawyer.
- Austin P. McKenzie as Fred
- Anne Leighton as Deborah Haskell
- Michael Papajohn as a Cop
- Lucy Faust as Rosie
- Devyn A. Tyler as Mrs. Ayers
Unhinged was originally scheduled to be released on August 28, 2020, before being pushed back to September 4. In May 2020, its release was moved up to July 1, 2020, in order to "likely be the first to test the waters as theaters try to rebound" from the COVID-19 pandemic, which was later pushed back to July 10, and then July 31. On July 23, the film was again delayed, this time to August 21, 2020.
The film began an international release on July 16 in Germany, and then on July 31 in the United Kingdom, Europe, Australia, Asia, and Latin America.
Unhinged made $251,849 from 380 theaters in its German debut, slightly below expectations but finishing in first place. In its second weekend the film made $201,655 from 438 theaters for a 12-day total in the country of $530,572. In the film's United Kingdom debut it grossed $230,000 (£174,901) from 250 theaters, becoming the first film to make over £100,000 in the country since the re-opening.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 45% on 29 reviews, with an average rating of 5.4/10. The website's critics consensus reads: "Russell Crowe makes for a compulsively watchable villain, but Unhinged lacks enough intelligence or depth to get sufficient mileage out of its pulpy premise." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 46 out of 100, based on nine critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
Guy Lodge of Variety said that the film "delivers exactly the nasty B-movie thrills you expect" and wrote: "The carnage is the point here, not any of the reasoning behind it, and Borte and Crowe bring it to a suitably frothing, furious head". Writing for IndieWire, Kaleem Aftab gave the film a "D" and said: "For a film so reliant on the telephone, it's probably not a surprise that Crowe dials in his performance. Dressed heavy-set, Crowe is all grimaces and frowns in disgust at everything around him. His only emotional note is all ANGRY, resulting in a parody of his own performances. It's Crowe on overdrive, and it's horrible."
- "UNHINGED (15)". British Board of Film Classification. July 2, 2020. Retrieved July 25, 2020.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (May 12, 2020). "Solstice Studios' Russell Crowe Road Rage Thriller 'Unhinged' To Be First Film Back In Movie Theaters July 1". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 12, 2020.
- "Unhinged (2020)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved August 6, 2020.
- "Unhinged (2020) - Financial Information". The Numbers. Retrieved August 4, 2020.
- "Russell Crowe Stars as an Angry Driver in First Look at 'Unhinged'". Variety. August 23, 2019. Retrieved May 12, 2020.
- Scott, Mike (June 17, 2019). "Russell Crowe to film road-rage thriller 'Unhinged' in New Orleans". The Times-Picayune, The New Orleans Advocate. Retrieved May 24, 2020.
- McNary, Dave (May 10, 2019). "Russell Crowe to Star in Road-Rage Thriller 'Unhinged'". Variety. Retrieved May 24, 2020.
- Squires, John (September 16, 2019). "Russell Crowe-Starring Road Rage Thriller 'Unhinged' Speeding Our Way Summer 2020". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved May 24, 2020.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (September 12, 2019). "Shari Hardison Named Solstice Studios Head Of U.S. Distribution; Russell Crowe Road Rage Thriller 'Unhinged' Set As First Release For August 28, 2020". Deadline. Retrieved May 24, 2020.
- "'Unhinged' Sets August Release In Wake Of 'Tenet's Labor Day Weekend Plan". Deadline Hollywood. July 27, 2020. Retrieved July 27, 2020.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (June 23, 2020). "'Unhinged': Russell Crowe Road Rage Pic Gears Up For Global Release As Cinemas Re-Open". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 23, 2020.
- "Unhinged Blu-ray". Blu-ray.com. Retrieved August 5, 2020.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (July 21, 2020). "'Peninsula' Thrills To $21M In Overseas Bow; 'Train To Busan' Sequel Helps Imax Score First $1M Global Weekend Since March – International Box Office". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 21, 2020.
- Kay, Jeremy (July 27, 2020). "'Unhinged' set for August US release, crosses $500,000 in Germany". Screen Daily. Retrieved July 28, 2020.
- Grater, Tom (August 3, 2020). "'Unhinged' Delivers $230K As UK Box Office Shows First Green Shoots". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 3, 2020.
- "Unhinged (2020)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved August 4, 2020.
- "Unhinged Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved August 3, 2020.
- Lodge, Guy (July 30, 2020). "Russell Crowe in 'Unhinged': Film Review". Variety. Retrieved July 30, 2020.
- Aftab, Kaleem (June 30, 2020). "'Unhinged' Review: Russell Crowe Will Not Save Cinema with This Pointless Thriller". IndieWire. Retrieved June 30, 2020.