Union 32 High School
U-32 High School known most officially as Union High School District No. 32 is in East Montpelier, Vermont, United States. It is the regional high school for the central Vermont towns of Berlin, Calais, Middlesex, East Montpelier, and Worcester, and students from Orange, Washington, and Roxbury can choose attend U 32 after middle school. It encompasses grades seven through twelve in a combined middle and senior high school.
The school opened in September 1971 with a strong liberal orientation, using open classrooms, student directed schedules and several of the concepts of Vermont philosopher-educator John Dewey, notably learning by doing. The school followed, and still follows a non-traditional philosophy where teachers and staff are referred to by given first name rather than by surname.
There was a $13 million renovation in 2002 to bring it up to fire codes and replace open, wall-less classrooms with more traditional ones.
The official mascot of the school is the Raider. U-32 is known now for its extensive art and music departments, its accomplished drama club, Stage 32, its outstanding sports programs, and its improved facility. It has about 296 middle schoolers and 707 high schoolers (2009).
- Boys Division II soccer state champions 2008. This was the third championship in four years.
- The U-32 Debate Team won state championship in 2011 and went to the National Debate Tournament
- The U-32 Girls Nordic Ski team - state championship 2008 - 2009. This title is the first in the school's history.
- The U-32 Girls Ice Hockey Team - state champions 2009-2010
- The U-32 Football team went undefeated in 2006, allowing less than 50 points all season and scoring more than 400. This year marked a record number of VT-NH Shrine Bowl participants for a single year coming from the school: Marcus Hass, Robert (Bob) Fitch, Silas Dowen, Todd Murphy, and Robert Keene
- U-32 sports are covered by the Zoo Sports Network, a platform dedicated entirely to Raider athletics.
- Frank Miller - 1975 comic-book writer and artist
- Sydney Perry - Beauty queen holding the Miss Vermont Teen USA 2008 and Miss North Carolina USA 2012 titles.
- William Grady 1971-1973
- James Dawson 1973-1976
- Alan Weiss 1977-1979
- Lyman Amsden 1980-1986
- Inga Duktig 1996-2000
- Dorothy Blake 2000-2006
- Keith Gerritt 2006-2013
- Steve Dellinger-Pate 2014-present
- Donoghue, Mike (November 2, 2008). BHS weaves sweep. Burlington Free Press.
- Perry, Janice (August 1, 2008). "Gal Perry Behind the Scenes with the Beauty Queens - Miss Vermont Teen USA". Vermont Woman. Retrieved March 28, 2012.
|This Vermont school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|