Universidad del Valle de México
|Motto||"Forever responsible for what has been cultivated"|
|Established||November 16, 1960|
|Location||Mexico City, Mexico.|
The Universidad del Valle de México or UVM (acronym in Spanish) is a private multicampus university founded in 1960. UVM is also the largest higher education institution in Mexico. since 2000 it has been part of Laureate International Universities, a US for-profit college network operating more than 80 institutions that hold over 1 million students in 28 countries.
UVM’s students mostly belong to Mexico's growing upper and middle socioeconomic classes.
The school enrolls more than 120,000 students, and has approximately 11,900 faculty members and 7,000 staff employees. UVM has more than 200,000 alumni and offers high school, undergraduate degree (traditional and working adult) and graduate degree programs on 38 campuses from an international perspective. It manages programs that respond to the market needs in the fields of Medicine; Engineering; Hospitality, Tourism and Gastronomy; Business; Social Sciences; Arts, Design and Architecture. UVM has also developed online and working adult career programs, oriented for working people who need an educational experience for a professional practice.
UVM alumni include diver Ivan Alejandro Garcia Navarro and swimmer German Saul Sanchez Sanchez both Olympic medalists; Vanessa Zambotti, Mexican judoist who won second place in 2015 Pan American Games at Toronto;, Taekwondoin Victor Estrada, Guillermo Jester, winner at ELLE Mexico Diseña 2014; and Cesar Duarte Jaquez, Governor of the State of Chihuahua.
A group of academics and businessmen led by Don José Ortega Romero, founded Universidad del Valle de México. It opened on November 16, 1960, with 212 students, 23 teachers and 14 administrative staff, offering elementary, secondary, highschool and the undergraduate programs in Accounting and Business Administration. It soon quit its education in the first two levels to concentrate on the remaining.
In 1968, the institution was consolidated.
Since 1976, the Universidad started to expand by opening new campus located in Mexico City and the surrounding areas, and in other places in Mexico.
UVM's relationship with Laureate allowed the school to offer academic international exchanges, multiple country titles, a vast opportunity to Exchange knowledge and experiences among the 80 institutions in the Laureate network, and others.
Laureate expanded UVM to several cities in Mexico: Aguascalientes (2001), Puebla (2002), Toluca (2003), Guadalajara Sur, Saltillo e Hispano (2004), Hermosillo y Torreon (2005), Nogales, Mexicali y Cuernavaca (2006), Monterrey Norte, Guadalajara Norte, Ciudad Victoria, Matamoros, Nuevo Laredo, Tampico y Reynosa (2007), Mérida, Zapopan y Monterrey Cumbres y Coyoacan (2008) y Chihuahua y Veracruz (2011). The Nuevo Laredo campus was closed in 2015 due to gang threats.
UVM enrolls more than 120,000 students, more than 11,900 faculty members and 6,900 administrative staff.
Laureate reports that UVM has 38 campuses located in 18 Mexican states, which makes it the largest private university in Mexico.
- San Rafael
- San Rafael Sede Marina
- Lago de Guadalupe
- Santa Fe
- Lomas Verdes
- San Ángel
- Sur (Coyoacán- Tlalpan)
- Monterrey Cumbres
- Monterrey Norte
- Guadalajara Norte
- Guadalajara Sur
- San Luis Potosí
- Nuevo Laredo (closed in 2015)
Awards and memberships
- Reconocimiento Global de Validez de Estudios. Acuerdo No.131, Secretario de Educación Publica, February 8, 1988.
- Reconocimiento de Excelencia Academica de Programas de Estudio de Nivel Licenciatura, granted by Secretaria de Educación Publica (SEP), 2006.
- Reconocimiento del Padron de Planes y Programas de Estudio de Excelencia Academica en el Medio Superior granted by Secretaria de Educación Publica (SEP).
- Certificación de Calidad Académica Lisa y Llana, given by Federación de Instituciones Mexicanas Particulares de Educación Superior (FIMPES 1995, 2002, 2010 and 2011).
- QS Stars, an international standard assessing higher education institutions globally. QS Stars gives UVM 5 stars in the fields of education, employability and access.
- Member of the Asociacion Nacional de Universidades e Instituciones de Nivel Superior (ANUIES since 1996).
- Member of the Asociacion de Facultades y Escuelas de Medicina, A.C. (AMFEM).
- Member of Federacion Mexicana de Facultades y Escuelas de Odontología (FEMFEO).
- Registro Nacional de Instituciones y Empresas Cientificas y Tecnologicas (RENIECYT).
- Convenio de Colaboración Académica con el Sistema Nacional de Investigadores (SNI)
- According to Guía Universitaria 2015, UVM is ranked 4th among the best public and private universities in Mexico, being 2nd in the Bajio, Center, North, Pacific, and Southeast.
- UVM is a Socially Responsible Company, distinguished as such by the Centro Mexicano para la Filantropía (CEMEFI).
- 22 Libraries certified with ISO 9001: 2008.
- ISO 9001:2000 granted to the computing labs in at campus.
UVM students receive a comprehensive education that combines academic preparation, technology, ethical values, sports and cultural activities. They also learn English and are prepared to be assessed for different certifications in the fields of IT.
Students have the opportunity of acquiring an international experience to be more competitive, because they have access to the links and possibilities offered by other institutions within the Laureate network. The geographic dispersity of Laureate gives them access to more than 105 international programs at 80 universities worldwide.
- Some 14 thousand students are studying any of the international programs offered for prestigious institutions as Kendall, UEM, Naba, Walden, IEDE y Santa Fe University.
- During the last year, some 2,700 students from UVM traveled abroad tu study a program within the network.
- UVM offers its students 575 exchange opportunities, including summer campus, certificates and double degrees.
- 145 options of Double Degrees and International Certificates, both in Mexico and abroad.
- More than 15 intensive schools (summer or winter) with foreign teachers visiting our country.
- 5 English levels in alliance with prestigious institutions.
Universidad del Valle de Mexico highlights the relevance of a wholesome education for its students. Thus, it has sports programs that allow students to prepare themselves in several disciplines at high-performance levels. This has resulted in many students achieving triumphs in important national and international competitions.
- 14 UVM athlets participated in the 2012 London Olympics (out of 100 participants in the Mexican delegation)
- UVM students received 3 out of the 4 medals earned by Mexico in the 2012 London Olympics.
- 16 UVM athletes attended the 2015 Pan American Games at Toronto. They won 14 medals: 4 golds, 5 silvers, and 5 bronzes.
Academic model results
- UVM is one of the best 5 Mexican universities according to the ranking of Selecciones del Reader’s Digest
- UVM earned 5 stars (the highest possible grade) in QS Stars ranking in the fields: teaching, employability and access.
- UVM’s alumni earn 7% more than their peers from other private and public universities.
- According to UVM, their alumni spend less time than their peers looking for a job when they finish their studies and they obtain a more benefits.
- According to UVM, 89% of UVM students find a job within 12 months after graduating.
- "Universidad del Valle de México (UVM)". Laureate.net. Retrieved 2017-01-02.
- "Affordable Higher Education in Mexico : Implications for Career Advancement and Social Mobility" (PDF). Ifc.org. Retrieved 2017-01-02.
- "Alumnos de la UVM buscarán destacada actuación en Veracruz 2014". Terra. Retrieved 4 May 2016.
- "Atletas de Alto Rendimiento se ponen la Camiseta Lince". UVM. Retrieved 4 May 2016.
- "¡Felicidades, Ganadores!". elle.mx. Retrieved 4 May 2016.
- Milenio. "¿Qué estudiaron los gobernadores?". Retrieved 1 Aug 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-10-11. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "Reconocimientos UVM". UVM.
- "Top 10 de las Mejores Universidades". Guia Universitaria. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "Universidad del Valle de Mexico - Hoja de datos" (PDF). Laureate-Comunicación.
- Survey done by IPSOS BIMSA
- Research by IFC at World Bank.
- Research conducted by UVM.