|Location||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Campus||Metropolitan, Goose Island|
Kendall College in Chicago is a for-profit college offering programs in hospitality management, culinary arts, business, and early childhood education. Kendall College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The Culinary Arts Associate and Baking and Pastry Associate programs are accredited by the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Accrediting Commission. Kendall College is a subsidiary of Laureate Education, which operates an international network of accredited campus-based and online universities.
In 1934, two seminarians endorsed by the Scandinavian Conference of the Methodist Church —one Swedish, the other Danish-Norwegian—formed Evanston Collegiate Institute in Evanston, Illinois. Many early students found employment at the Washington National Insurance Company of Evanston, a major financial supporter of the school.
In 1950, the school was renamed in honor of Washington National’s founders, Curtis P. Kendall and his family.
Business programs at Kendall College began in the 1970s. The School of Business was created in 2007. In 1985, the School of Culinary Arts was established. Building on the culinary program, a Bachelor of Arts in Hotel and Restaurant Management was created in 1987. In 2005, the program was revised into a Bachelor of Arts in Hospitality Management. A partnership was later formed with Les Roches International School of Hotel Management and Glion Institute of Higher Education, including the creation of exchange programs with Les Roches campuses in Switzerland and Spain.
In 2005, Kendall College moved from Evanston to its current location in the former Sara Lee Research and Development building.
In 2008, Kendall College was acquired by Laureate Education.
Kendall College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The Culinary Arts Associate and Baking and Pastry Associate programs are accredited by the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Accrediting Commission. Kendall’s School of Education is approved by the Illinois State Board of Education for its certification preparation program that leads to Illinois Type 04 Teacher Certification.
- Kendall College Website, Kendall College Enrollment Brochure 2008
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA), website http://www.northcentralassociation.org/
- American Culinary Federation, http://www.acfchefs.org
- Laureate Education Acquires Kendall College Press Release July 16, 2008
- Kendall College Academic Catalogue 2008–2009, pp3
- The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
- Kendall College Partners with LesRoches Hospitality Management School of Switzerland Press Release, July 22, 2004
- College to sell, lease facility, Publication: Chicago Tribune (Illinois), October 10, 2007
- "Laureate Education buys two U.S. colleges". Baltimore Business Journal. July 16, 2008. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- Higher Learning Commission -http://www.ncahlc.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=113
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools - http://www.ncacasi.org/
- American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Accrediting Commission - http://www.acfchefs.org//AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home6
- Illinois State Board of Education - http://www.isbe.state.il.us/
- Official Website
- Kendall history
- The School of Business
- The School of Culinary Arts
- The School of Education
- The School of Hospitality Management