|Type||program of National Louis University|
|Location||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
Kendall College at National Louis University, located in Chicago, Illinois, United States, is a non-profit college program offering study in culinary arts and hospitality management. Kendall is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. The Culinary Arts Associate and Baking and Pastry Associate programs are accredited by the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Accrediting Commission.
Founded in 1934, Kendall College was an independent college and then a subsidiary of Laureate Education. On August 6, 2018, National Louis University (NLU) received approval from the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and the U.S. Department of Education to transfer Kendall College’s programs and other assets from Laureate Education, Inc.
In 1934, two seminarians endorsed by the Scandinavian Conference of the Methodist Church — one Swedish, the other Danish-Norwegian — formed Evanston Collegiate Institute in Evanston, Illinois. Many early students found employment at the Washington National Insurance Company of Evanston, a major financial supporter of the school.
In 1950, the school was renamed in honor of Washington National's founders, Curtis P. Kendall and his family.
Business programs at Kendall College began in the 1970s. The School of Business was created in 2007. In 1985, the School of Culinary Arts was established. Building on the culinary program, a Bachelor of Arts in Hotel and Restaurant Management was created in 1987. In 2005, the program was revised into a Bachelor of Arts in Hospitality Management. A partnership was later formed with Les Roches International School of Hotel Management and Glion Institute of Higher Education, including the creation of exchange programs with Les Roches campuses in Switzerland and Spain.
In 2008, Kendall College was acquired by Laureate Education.
Kendall College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the Culinary Arts Associate and Baking and Pastry Associate programs are accredited by the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Accrediting Commission.
- Chef Bill Kim
- Stephen Finney
- Diogo A. Nobre
- Matthew Scott
- American Culinary Federation, http://www.acfchefs.org
- Laureate Education Acquires Kendall College Press Release July 16, 2008
- Kendall College Academic Catalogue 2008–2009, pp3
- The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
- Kendall College Partners with LesRoches Hospitality Management School of Switzerland Press Release, July 22, 2004
- College to sell, lease facility, Publication: Chicago Tribune (Illinois), October 10, 2007
- "Laureate Education buys two U.S. colleges". Baltimore Business Journal. July 16, 2008. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- "History". www.kendall.edu. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- Channick, Robert (August 7, 2018). "Kendall College's culinary, hospitality programs to land on Michigan Ave. after sale to National Louis University". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- Higher Learning Commission -http://www.ncahlc.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=113
- American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Accrediting Commission - http://www.acfchefs.org//AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home6