University of the Azores
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Universidade dos Açores
|Instituto Universitário dos Açores|
|Established||January 9, 1976|
|Rector||João Luís Roque Baptista Gaspar|
Angra do Heroísmo
|Colors||Blue & silver|
The University of the Azores (Portuguese: Universidade dos Açores), or commonly abbreviated as UAc, is the only public university in the Autonomous Region of the Azores, It was founded on January 9, 1976, two years after the Carnation Revolution that ended several decades of dictatorship in Portugal, but before the Portuguese Third Republic was institutionalized, along with the Region's Autonomy. The university is a public institution dependent on the Ministry of Science, Technology and Higher Education and was established in order to advance sustainable development and higher education in the Azores.
The establishment of the University of the Azores developed from a period of autonomous politics related to separatist movements that developed in the second half of 1975. Although not completely responsible, the events following the Carnation Revolution provided the conditions necessary for the creation of the university. Due to a level of academic disorder on the continent, that forced the closing of many universities, several of the wealthier families sent their children to the United States or Canada in order for them to complete their studies. It was during this post-revolutionary period that the idea of creating a local institution of higher learning was debated. A small group of academics and elites explored alternatives in order to lower costs, distances and reduce the impact of national government centralization. It was at this time that the central government suggested the creation of a Centro Universitário (University Centre), one that the President of the Regional Junta, General Altino de Magalhães, refused to consider since he felt that the community would only accept the establishment of a formal University.
A working group was established by ministry order 414/75 on 14 October 1976 to debate the issues and provide solutions. On 9 January 1976, Decree 5/76 was promulgated to establish the Instituto Universitário dos Açores (University Institution of the Azores), during an atmosphere of regionalization that fostered the establishment of local/regional institutions responsible for teaching, investigation, cultural development and community services. The intent of the Act was to respond to the process of democratization developing during the post-Carnation Revolution period, and allow the develop of regional equilibrium between the continent and the regional institutions. On 25 July 1980, with the promulgation of the Decree-Law 252/80 formalized the establishment of an institute of higher education, that the community began to refer to as the University of the Azores.
In order to effectively provide educational services to regional population, the university established three campuses, in Ponta Delgada (São Miguel), Angra do Heroísmo (Terceira) and Horta (Faial) and organized into departments and schools to, essentially, provide instruction and investigation services. In addition to the Main Campus (Ponta Delgada), which provides a concentration of various disciplines, the other two campuses provided specialized training in agrarian sciences and oceanography;
Since its foundation, the university has had four rectors. Currently, its rector is Dr. Avelino de Freitas de Meneses, a professor of insular history of the Atlantic.
- Escola Superior de Enfermagem de Angra do Heroísmo, (English: Nursing School of Angra do Heroísmo), in Angra do Heroísmo
- Escola Superior de Enfermagem de Ponta Delgada, (English: Nursing School of Ponta Delgada), in Ponta Delgada
- Departamento de Oceanografia e Pescas (Patterns and Processes of the Ecosystems of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge) and CenSeam (A Global Census of Marine Life on Seamounts). There is also participation on international initiatives as part of the OTN (Ocean Tracking Network).
- São Miguel
- Departamento de Biologia, (English: Department of Biology) - located in Ponta Delgada, São Miguel
- Departamento de Ciências da Educação, (English: Department of Educational Sciences), in Ponta Delgada
- Departamento de Ciências Tecnológicas e Desenvolvimento, (English: Department of Technological Sciences and Development), in Ponta Delgada
- Departamento de Economia e Gestão, (English: Department of Economics and Management), in Ponta Delgada
- Departamento de Geociências, (English: Department of Geosciences), in Ponta Delgada
- Departamento de História, Filosofia e Ciências Sociais, (English: Department of History, Philosophy and Social Sciences), in Ponta Delgada
- Departamento de Línguas e Literaturas Modernas, (English: Department of Languages and Modern Literature), in Ponta Delgada
- Departamento de Matemática,(English: Department of Mathematics), in Ponta Delgada
- Departamento de Ciências Agrárias, (English: Department of Agricultural Sciences), in Angra do Heroísmo. The areas of education and research are:
- Agriculture: pastures, horticulture, frutaculutre; soils and fertility; protection of plants; hydrology and water resources; rural engineering; regional economies and natural resources;
- Environment: ecology and conversation; agricultural biology; chemical and physical atmosphere; chemical and water microbiology; climatology; spatial planning; basic sanitation; diagnosis and environmental auditing; environmental impact studies; physical oceanography;
- Animal Production: nutrition; alimentation; reproduction and maintenance;
- Food technology: hygiene and food safety; human nutrition; oenology.
- Centro de Biotecnologia dos Açores (CBA) (English: The Biotechnology Centre of Azores)
- Centro de Estudos de Economia Aplicada do Atlântico CEEAplA (English: Centre of Applied Economics Studies of the Atlantic)
- Centro de Física e Investigação Tecnológica Dep. de Física da FCT/UNL (English: The Center for Physical and Technological Research )
- Centro de História de Além-Mar (English: The Centre for Overseas History )
- Centro de Inovação e Sustentabilidade em Engenharia e Construção
- Centro de Investigação e Tecnologia Agrária dos Açores (CITA-A)
- Centro de Vulcanologia e Avaliação de Riscos Geológicos
- Centro de Empreendedorismo da Universidade dos Açores|Centro de Empreendedorismo
- Maria de Fátima Silva de Sequeira Dias, late historian of the Azores, Department of Management and Economics.
- Campus de Angra/Angra Campus or the Department of Agricultural Sciences (in Portuguese)
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Oceanography and Ichthyology in Horta
- As part of the MAR-ECO project investigators from DOP and representatives from Northern European countries have worked together to elaborate the project to the southern Atlantic hemisphere
- "Historian Fátima Sequeira Dias died age 54 – Azores". Portuguese American Journal. 2013-01-08. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- Reis, Patricia (2010). "A Importância da Universidade dos Açores na Sociedade Açoreana" [The Importance of the University of the Azores in Azorean Society] (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2 July 2010.