Why Wikipedia is important
- Try typing the following scientific terms into Google:
- Anyone in the world interested in science will be guided to Wikipedia first, except for some specialist topics.
- Therefore as scientists we have a responsibility to make sure Wikipedia is:
- 1) Scientifically accurate
- 2) Up to date
- It is the greatest ever opportunity for public engagement!
- We now have one place where we can be sure the whole world will read about a science topic... and we can edit it!
- If you are ever asked in a grant how you engage with the public, this is the perfect way to do it.