User:JenniferMGA/NMAC 5108 Journal
March 9th, 2019: Learning to Use Wikipedia
It feels odd to be writing a journal on a Wikipedia page. Throughout all of my high school and undergraduate days, my teachers have always told me to avoid Wikipedia because it was better to be safe than sorry about the information that's found on here. I knew that people collectively edited and created all the Wikipedia pages but I didn't realize that there were "talk pages" and ways to track edits made by others. I guess I just assumed that there wasn't any sort of "check and balance" system. It's a good thing that there's an introductory training modules when I signed up. I'm already overwhelmed by the prospect of using Wikipedia but comforted that there's help and guidance available when I need it.
My goal for the next couple days is to learn how to link certain information from other Wiki pages to what I'm writing and continue learning how to use and navigate Wikipedia before I find my article in the coming weeks.
- Small steps: that's a good approach. Let me know if I can help in any way. I think you're off to a great start. —Grlucas (talk) 02:20, 10 March 2019 (UTC)
- How great to see you again, Jennifer, and in yet another writing environment to boot. I loved the work you and Mariam did in our last class and I really look forward to reading more of your writing. Looks like we're off and running next week with more writing but I've vowed to myself that I would not panic this term or let my doubts get the best of me! See you in Wiki! —JVbird JVbird (talk) 12:19, 10 March 2019 (UTC)
- @JVbird: Happy to see you again too Josef! You won't believe how stunned Mariam and I were when we saw your group's video presentation! It completely blew our minds. We could see how much work and effort went into your project and I love seeing how much passion and effort the class put into it. I have complete faith in your abilities and look forward to another mini semester with you! JenniferMGA (talk) 23:01, 11 March 2019 (UTC)
- @JenniferMGA: Hi. Nice to see another friend from last class. Looking forward to working together in learning this class. Please don't hesitate to email me if you want to collaborate or have professional discourse at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Talk to you soon!(Dmcgonagill (talk) 20:10, 11 March 2019 (UTC))
- @Dmcgonagill: Horray for another familiar user! I'm looking forward to this semester together too. I'm better at checking my Google Email at email@example.com but the MGA email works too at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, how did you insert that emoji?? I love it! JenniferMGA (talk) 23:01, 11 March 2019 (UTC)
Welcome to the class and glad to see we have another one together. I agree, it feels very odd writing in a journal on here. I am trying to get used to it myself and am having a hard time wrapping my head around it. It seems like it will be fun and exciting once we really get into the articles.Ssimsjones (talk) 09:42, 12 March 2019 (UTC)