|Tekken series character|
|First game||Tekken 3|
|Voiced by||Yumi Tōma |
|Portrayed by||Chiaki Kuriyama|
|Fighting style||Hakke Sho (Baguazhang), Hikka Ken (Pi Qua Quan), and various Chinese martial arts.|
|Occupation||Student and Panda caretaker|
Ling Xiaoyu (Chinese: 凌 曉雨 Pinyin: Líng Xiǎoyǔ, Japanese: リン・シャオユウ Rin Shaoyū) is a fictional Chinese character from the popular Tekken video game series. She attends the Mishima Polytechnical School with Jin Kazama and her friend Miharu Hirano. Her life’s ambition is to build an amusement park for all of China to enjoy. Since Xiaoyu has been voiced by Japanese voice actress Yumi Touma since Tekken 3, Xiaoyu speaks only in Japanese despite being Chinese, even to her grandfather, Wang Jinrei, in an interlude in Tekken 5 and Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection.
Even at a very young age, Ling Xiaoyu loved amusement parks. Also she was tutored in martial arts by Wang Jinrei from a young age. He believed that if she were more serious, she could achieve true greatness, but became frustrated by her careless attitude.
While vacationing in Hong Kong with her family, she noticed a yacht bearing the name: “Mishima Zaibatsu”. Knowing that the Mishima Zaibatsu was rich and powerful, she decided to seek out Heihachi Mishima and make her dream a reality. Abandoning her family, Xiaoyu stowed away on the ship.
The ship’s security soon discovered her and informed Heihachi of her presence. By the time that Heihachi arrived on the scene, all of the Tekkenshu—Heihachi’s personal security force—that were aboard the ship had been beaten into unconsciousness and strewn about the deck. It looked as if the ship had been hit by a hurricane.
Amidst the chaos, Heihachi found Xiaoyu. She threatened to beat him up if he did not accept her challenge. Amused by her juvenile antics, Heihachi roared with laughter and promised to build her theme park if she won his tournament. She enrolls at the Mishima Polytechnical School, and this is where she first meets both Jin Kazama and Miharu Hirano. Bringing along her old school's trained panda (aptly named "Panda"), Heihachi teaches her to fight, much like he has taught Kuma, so that Xiaoyu would have a bodyguard. This inspired Xiaoyu to see Heihachi as something of a grandfather toward her.
After the King of Iron Fist Tournament 3, Xiaoyu continued to live, study, and train as a ward of the Mishima Zaibatsu, but her life became boring and mundane, lacking any particular goals.
Two years later, Xiaoyu was delivered an anonymous e-mail admonishing her not to trust Heihachi. The anonymous individual warned her that Heihachi posed an immediate danger to her life. At this time, Xiaoyu was a junior at the Mishima Polytechnical School and had become sick of her daily routines, but receiving this mysterious e-mail rejuvenated Xiaoyu’s passionate spirit.
Xiaoyu replied to the e-mail dozens of times. Although the sender never contacted her again, Xiaoyu became convinced that Jin, who had been missing since the previous Tekken tournament, had sent it to her.
Around this same time, Heihachi announced the King of the Iron Fist Tournament 4. Hoping to reconnect with Jin and unmask the Mishima Zaibatsu’s evil deeds, Xiaoyu decided to enter the tournament.
At the end of the previous tournament, Xiaoyu is rescued from the evil plans of Heihachi Mishima by Yoshimitsu, who then tells her about the tragic history of the Mishima family. Xiaoyu starts to believe that the root of all misfortune surrounding Jin and the Mishima family was Heihachi pitching Kazuya off the edge of a cliff when he was five years old.
At this point, Xiaoyu believes it is her personal mission to save the tragic Mishima family. She wished that there were some way to turn back time and fix the past. Her prayers were answered when she heard an unnamed scientist boast that if he had the money, he could build a time machine.
To obtain the money to fund the invention, Xiaoyu enters The King of the Iron Fist Tournament 5 to win the prize money.
Ling Xiaoyu breathed a sigh of relief when she heard Heihachi had not truly died. However, as head of the Mishima Zaibatsu, Jin Kazama aims to take Heihachi’s life. Xiaoyu was going to try and stop Jin herself, but the Zaibatsu pushed towards militarization, making it difficult to approach Jin.
The Mishima Zaibatsu’s declaration of war drew hostility from around the globe. When the King of Iron Fist Tournament 6 is announced, Ling Xiaoyu enters in the hope that she can save Jin’s soul from evil.
Outside of the main series, Ling Xiaoyu has appeared in Tekken Card Challenge, Tekken Tag Tournament and Tekken Advance. Ling Xiaoyu also appears in Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2 as a unlockable character. Her comic book appearances includes Tekken Forever and Tekken: Tatakai no Kanatani. She will also appear in the 2009 movie, Tekken potrayed by Chiaki Kuriyama.
- Heihachi Mishima keeps his promise, and he builds Xiaoyu a theme park. Xiaoyu imagines a place full of happiness and color called: "Xiaoyu Land". However, when her daydream ends, Heihachi unveils the real theme park, which is a gloomy place called: "Heihachi Land"! Heihachi is roaring with laughter. Xiaoyu gets angry, and beats up Heihachi, yelling: "Jerk!"
- (Note: This ending is unique in that it is done using hand-drawn animation in combination with computer-generated imagery.)
Tekken Tag Tournament--Normal Ending
- Xiaoyu spends a heartfelt moment with Panda, and then she rides on her loyal pet to the distance.
Tekken Tag Tournament--Special Ending
- Jin Kazama walks away from school leisurely, carrying a duffel bag. Xiaoyu demurely races to him and speaks with him (though, her words can't be heard), though Jin does not seem too affected by her presence. After a few moments, Xiaoyu waves goodbye and darts off.
- Ling Xiaoyu wins the tournament and takes over the Mishima Zaibatsu. No one foresaw this outcome. Miharu Hirano visits Xiaoyu in her new office. Miharu confesses that she has flunked all of her college entrance exams, so Xiaoyu offers her a job. Xiaoyu tells Miharu that she saw Jin after the tournament. He told her that "[she] has all of these dreams, and [she] should make them happen for [her]self.” Xiaoyu tells Miharu that she wants the two of them to build her theme park together.
- After winning the tournament, Ling Xiaoyu is the first to use her time machine. She travels back to the time when Heihachi was about to throw Kazuya Mishima off a cliff, intending to avert this event that will rip the family apart. Unfortunately, Xiaoyu had lost control of the time machine and it barreled into Heihachi and Kazuya, sending Kazuya falling from the clifftop, while Heihachi is nearly sent over himself. Xiaoyu is miserable because of her failure, and the old scientist comes to her, laughing, and tells her that nobody can really change the past.and that “The best [she] can hope for are minor improvements.”
- (Note: As with her Tekken 3 epilogue, this ending is unique in that it is done using hand-drawn animation in combination with computer-generated imagery.)
Xiaoyu is a Chinese teenager with black hair. Her signature hairstyle is the two pigtails on the sides of her head. She also wears a modified version of a qipao, or a cheongsam, as her primary outfit in Tekken 5 and later. Her secondary outfit consists of pants and a sleeveless jacket with bunny ears hood. Her bonus outfits are the Gothic Lolita costume, the colorful fur costume also with one costume more than other characters; is her school uniform. Within Tekken 5, Xiaoyu has more selectable costumes than any other character.
In Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection and Tekken: DR, her hair can be customized with different colors, and her secondary hair colors are pink, brown, and blonde. Her hairstyle can also be customized into short bobs, braided and rainbow afro.
Fighting Style and Moves List
Ling Xiaoyu practices Hakke Sho and Hikka Ken, which is Baguazhang and Piguaquan in Chinese, respectively. Xiaoyu's style is flowing and smooth; many of her attacks are graceful and move in a windmill-like formation. Typical of a person of her size and build, Ling Xiaoyu is not strong in regards to the damage inflicted by her moves. Xiaoyu emphasizes speed, as her moves have a relatively higher priority. The high priority of her attacks lead to lots of poking. In addition, she also has a quick roll and cartwheel that can be used evasively along with stances which keep an opponent confused.
|Tekken series character|
|First game||Tekken 4|
|Voiced by||Eriko Fujimaki|
|Fighting style||Hakke Sho (Baguazhang), Hikka Ken (Pi Qua Quan), and various Chinese martial arts|
Miharu Hirano (平野 美晴 Hirano Miharu) is an alternate costume for Ling Xiaoyu in Tekken 4, and is also her best friend in the game's storyline. She shares the same moves as Xiaoyu, as well as her prologue, epilogue and win animations. She wears a school uniform identical to Xiaoyu's and has short, feathered dark red hair.