Who am I and to what extent am I qualified to write about syntax and grammar?
Timothy John Osborne: I have a Ph.D. in German and linguistics, with a specialty in the theory of grammar. My particular interest is in dependency grammar and all aspects that feed into it. To check my qualifications to be a contributor, google "dependency grammar osborne". My publications in peer-reviewed journals will show up. These publications are also listed below.
I am particularly interested in the article on dependency grammar, and I am also working to improve other articles that touch on areas that are in some way related to dependency grammar and its understanding of syntax and the theory of grammar. I have significantly revised and/or added to the following articles:
- Adjective phrase - February 2013
- Adjunct (grammar) - March 2012
- Adpositional phrase - March 2013
- Anaphora - October 2013
- Antecedent - October 2013
- Antecedent-contained deletion - Dec. 2011
- Argument (linguistics) - February 2012
- Auxiliary verb - July 2012
- Binding - October 2013
- Branching (linguistics) - January 2012
- C-command - October 2013
- Clause - July 2012
- Comparative - March 2013
- Complement (linguistics) - April 2012
- Constituent (linguistics) - December 2011
- Control (linguistics) - June 2012
- Coordination (linguistics) - January 2011
- Coreference - October 2013
- Crossover - October 2013
- Dependency grammar - November 2011
- Dependent-marking language - March 2013
- Determiner phrase - December 2013
- Do-support - July 2012
- Ellipsis (linguistics) - December 2011
- Endocentric - December 2011
- Exceptional case-marking - June 2012
- Finite verb - June 2012
- Gapping - December 2011
- Government (linguistics) - January 2012
- Grammatical relation - December 2011
- Head (linguistics) - December 2011
- Head marking language - March 2013
- Idiom - July 2012
- Immediate constituent analysis - Dec. 2011
- Inverse copular constructions - Sept. 2012
- Inversion (linguistics) - December 2011
- Lexical item - July 2012
- Light verb - July 2012
- Lucien Tesnière - October 2013
- Merge (linguistics) - January 2012
- Modal verb - July 2012
- Movement paradox - February 2013
- Non-configurational language - Dec. 2011
- Non-finite verb - July 2012
- Noun phrase - July 2012
- Object (grammar) - March 2013
- Parasitic gap - October 2013
- Parse tree - December 2011
- Periphrasis - July 2012
- Phrasal verb - July 2012
- Phrase - December 2011
- Phrase structure grammar - November 2011
- Phrase structure rule -December 2011
- Predicate (grammar) - November 2011
- Raising (linguistics) - June 2012
- Scrambling (linguistics) - February 2012
- Separable verb - July 2012
- Sentence diagram - February 2012
- Sluicing - December 2011
- Small clause - June 2012
- Subcategorization - December 2011
- Subject (grammar) - March 2013
- Subject-auxiliary inversion - July 2011
- Subordination (linguistics) - Feb. 2012
- Syntactic category - December 2011
- Syntactic movement - February 2013
- Valency (linguistics) - December 2011
- Verb phrase - December 2011
- Verb phrase ellipsis - December 2011
- V2 word order- June 2012
- Wh-movement - November 2012
- X-bar theory - January 2012
I have created the following articles:
- Answer ellipsis - February 2012
- Catena (linguistics) - November 2011
- Discontinuity (linguistics) - January 2012
- Extraposition - February 2012
- Negative inversion - October 2012
- Noun ellipsis - April 2012
- Pied-piping - February 2013
- Predicative expression - April 2012
- Pseudogapping - January 2012
- Right node raising - October 2012
- Selection (linguistics) - June 2012
- Shifting (linguistics) - January 2012
- Stripping (linguistics) - April 2012
- Subject-verb inversion - October 2012
- Topicalization - March 2012
If one disputes the content in any of these articles, I am very willing to discuss the issues. I can be contacted at the following email address: email@example.com.
The following list gives my peer-reviewed publications. These publications deliver a sense of my qualifications to be contributing to Wikipedia in the area of syntax and grammar:
Osborne, Timothy and Thomas Groß 2013. Antecedent containment: A dependency grammar solution in terms of
- catenae. Studia Linguistica, in press.
Osborne, Timothy and Thomas Groß 2012. Katena und Konstruktion: Ein Vorschlag zu einer dependenziellen
- Konstruktionsgrammatik. Zeitschrift für Sprachwissenschaft, in press.
Osborne, Timothy and Thomas Groß 2012. Constructions are catenae: Construction Grammar meets dependency
- grammar. Cognitive Linguistics 23, 1: 163-214.
Osborne, Timothy 2012. Edge features, catenae, and dependency-based Minimalism. Linguistic Analysis 34,
- 3-4: in press.
Osborne, Timothy, Michael Putnam, and Thomas Groß 2011. Bare phrase structure, label-less trees, and
- specifier-less syntax: Is Minimalism becoming a dependency grammar? The Linguistic Review 28: 315-364.
Groß, Thomas and Timothy Osborne 2009. Toward a practical dependency grammar theory of discontinuities.
- SKY Journal of Linguistics 22, 43-90.
Osborne, Timothy 2009. Comparative coordination vs. comparative subordination Natural Language
- and Linguistic Theory 27, 427-454.
Osborne, Timothy 2008. Major constituents: And two dependency grammar constraints on sharing in
- coordination. Linguistics 46/6, 1109-1165.
Osborne, Timothy 2007. The weight of predicates: A dependency grammar analysis of predicate weight in
- German. Journal of Germanic Linguistics 19/1, 23-72.
Osborne, Timothy 2006. Gapping vs. non-gapping coordination. Linguistische Berichte 207, 307-338.
Osborne, Timothy 2006. Shared material and grammar: A dependency grammar theory of non-gapping coordination.
- Zeitschrift für Sprachwissenschaft 25, 39-93.
Osborne, Timothy 2006. Parallel conjuncts. Studia Linguistica 60/1, 64-96.
Osborne, Timothy 2005. Beyond the constituent: A dependency grammar analysis of chains. Folia Linguistica
- 39/3-4, 251-297.
Osborne, Timothy 2005. Coherence: A dependency grammar analysis. SKY Journal of Linguistics 18, 223-286.
Osborne, Timothy 2003. The Left Elbow Constraint. Studia Linguistica 57/3, 233-257.