Image of the Ushiku Daibutsu
|Location||Ushiku, Ibaraki, Japan|
Ushiku Daibutsu (牛久大仏) is a statue located in Ushiku, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan. Completed in 1993, it stands a total of 120 metres (390 ft) tall, including the 10 m (33 ft) base and 10m lotus platform. The statue held the record for the tallest statue from 1993–2002. As of 2018[update], it is one of the top five tallest statues in the world.
An elevator takes visitors up 85 m (279 ft) to an observation floor. The statue depicts Amitabha Buddha and is made of bronze. It is also known as Ushiku ARCADIA (Amida's Radiance and Compassion Actually Developing and Illuminating Area). It was built to commemorate the birth of Shinran, founder of the Jōdo Shinshū 浄土真宗 or "True Pure Land School" of Buddhism.
- Weight: 4,003 tonnes (8,825,000 lb)
- Length of Left Hand: 18.00 m (59.06 ft)
- Length of Face: 20.00 m (65.62 ft)
- Length of Eye: 2.55 m (8.4 ft)
- Length of Mouth: 4.5 m (15 ft)
- Length of Nose: 1.2 m (3.9 ft)
- Length of Ear: 10.00 m (32.81 ft)
- Length of the First Finger: 7.00 m (22.97 ft)
Inside the statue itself is a four story building, which serves as a kind of museum.
- Level 1, Infinite Light and Infinite Life
- The first floor lobby is dark, and as you enter music floats toward you from the darkness. In the center of the room a single shaft of light shines from above onto a cauldron of smoking incense. Beyond it is the elevator to the other floors.
- Level 2 (10.0 m), World of Gratitude and Thankfulness
- Mostly dedicated to scriptural studies
- Level 3 (20~30.0 m), World of the Lotus Sanctuary
- 3000 samples of gold Buddha statues
- Level 4 (80~85.0 m), Room of Mt. Grdhrakuta
- Also on the fourth floor are windows looking out from the buddha's chest onto the adjacent flower garden and small animal park.
- Kōtoku-in, temple in Kamakura, home to second largest seated bronze Buddha statue in Japan.
- Tōdai-ji, temple in Nara, home to largest seated bronze Buddha statue in Japan.
- Leshan Giant Buddha in China, the tallest stone Buddha sculpture in the world.
- Tian Tan Buddha, located in Hong Kong, world's tallest seated Buddha statue.
- List of statues by height, many of which are Buddhist statues
- "Ushiku Daibutsu". Must Love Japan.
100 m (328 ft)
| World's tallest statue
Spring Temple Buddha
128 m (420 ft)
|This article related to art or architecture in Japan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to religion in Japan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Buddhism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This sculpture article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|