11 January 1977|
|Awards||List of awards|
Shamsheer Vayalil Paramabath is an Indian doctor, entrepreneur and philanthropist from Kerala born January 11, 1977. He is the founder and managing director of VPS Healthcare. According to Forbes, as of 2018[update], Dr. Shamsheer has a personal wealth of $1.5 billion. In 2015, he received the Global Partnerships Forum Global Humanitarian Award. He is also the youngest recipient of the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award in 2014. In 2014, he received an Honorary Doctorate from Aligarh Muslim University.
He has also been listed in Forbes Global Rich List 2017; Forbes Top Indian Leaders in the Arab Region 2016 and was featured on the cover of Forbes Magazine 2014. Similarly, he was also listed as one of the 100 Most Powerful Indians in the Persian Gulf region by Arabian Business Magazine.
In early 2018, Shamsheer and his wife Dr. Shabeena joined the Giving Pledge, a campaign founded by Bill Gates, Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett, to encourage the wealthy to contribute their wealth towards philanthropy.
Dr. Shamsheer was born in Moodadi, Koyilandy, Kerala, on January 11, 1977. He completed his Bachelors in Medicine from Kasturba Medical College before pursuing his MD in radiology from Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute in Chennai.
Dr. Shamsheer started his career as a radiologist at the Sheikh Khalifa Medical City in Abu Dhabi, where he worked for 12 months. In 2007, he started providing medical aid and care through his first hospital which he soon diversified into related healthcare businesses within the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) and Indian Subcontinent region. Among Dr. Shamsheer's flagship projects is the Burjeel Hospital, which is also Abu Dhabi's largest private tertiary care hospital.
VPS Healthcare focuses on the areas of healthcare delivery, pharmaceutical and health support, with presence across UAE, Europe, Oman and India. At present, the group manages twenty two fully operational hospital in addition to primary, secondary and tertiary care clinics and medical centers, industrial medicine practices, pharmaceutical manufacturing, pharmacy retail chain, and healthcare support services spread across the Middle East, Europe and the Indian Subcontinent.
Awards & accolades
- 2015 GPF Global Humanitarian Award at the United Nations Headquarters
- Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award for his Contribution in field of healthcare business and for promoting better understanding of India in UAE
- Honorary Doctorate (D.Litt & DSE Honors Degree) from Aligarh Muslim University.
- Hamdan Bin Zayed Award for Humanitarian Aid 2014 and 2013
- Arab Health International Leadership Award in 2012
- Entrepreneur of The Year Award 2012 At Indian CEO'S Award Ceremony
- Business Super Achiever Award 2012
- Ernst & Young "Entrepreneur Of The Year" in 2011 for the UAE
- Honorary Stevie Award for Annual International Business 2011
- Younger Achievers Award – 2010 from the Indian Association of Physiotherapists
- Sheikh Khalifa Excellence Award 2009
- Young Asian Achiever Award
- US Asia Outstanding Young Achievers Award
NRI Voting Rights
In April 2014, Dr. Shamsheer Vayalil filed a petition in the Indian Supreme Court regarding the NRI Voting Rights. He was concerned by the existing procedure in which the NRIs had to travel to their constituency to vote. He moved the Supreme Court to make the process easier. Acting on his PIL, the Supreme Court directed the Election Commission to explore the possibilities for NRIs to cast their vote. Acting on the Supreme Court’s directive, the Election Commission set up a committee to explore the possibilities of NRIs to vote. In October 2014, based on the committee’s recommendation, the Election Commission submitted its report to the Supreme Court, which has recommended enabling NRIs to vote by proxy and e-postal ballot. The Indian Government has also favored e-postal ballot for NRIs and the introduction of the bill in the Indian Parliament for NRI Voting Rights is still awaited.
- "Shamsheer Vayalil". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- "Global Partnerships Forum: News". partnerships.org. 2015-05-05. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- "AMU awards 240 gold medals, 4,000 degrees at convocation". Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- "The International Indian: Dr. Shamsheer Vayalil". Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- "100 most powerful Indians in the Gulf". Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- "Interview: Dr Shamsheer Vayalil Parambath". Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- "VPS Healthcare Group". Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- "1,200 Jobs as Abu Dhabi's largest private hospital plans Dh1bn expansion". Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- "Self-examination for breast cancer creates world record". Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- "GPF - VPS Healthcare Special Event on Accelerating Health Access". Global Partnerships Forum. 2015-05-05. Retrieved 2018-06-09.
- "Arab Health award winners 2012". Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- "UAE Health Care Entrepreneur Dr Shamsheer Vayalil Honoured with India's Prestigious Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award". Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- "Entrepreneur of the year: Indian Ceo Awards". Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- "ICAI's 'Business Super Achiever' awards". Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- "The International Business Awards: Company / Organization Awards Category Honorees". Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- "Book on young Asian achievers released in Dubai". Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.