Varghese/Verghese, Geevarghese and Varkey are Syriac–Malayalam variants of George in India. It is given as first name or last name among the Saint Thomas Christians, an ancient community of Christians in India.
People named Varghese
Varghese as given name
- Verghese Kurien (1921–2012), Recipient of Padma Vibhushan and known as "Father of the White Revolution"
- Verghese Koithara, Former Vice Admiral of the Indian Navy
- Varghese Mathai, Professor of Mathematics at University of Adelaide.
- Geevarghese Mar Gregorios, Canonized Christian saint by the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church.
- Varghese Daniel (1956— ), cricketer
- Varghese Johnson (1982— ), boxer
- Varghese Payyappilly Palakkappilly (1876–1929), Servant of God canonized by the Syro-Malabar Church.
- Arikkad "Naxal" Varghese (1938–1970), murdered activist
Varghese as last name
- Abraham Verghese (1955– ), Professor of Medicine at Stanford University Medical School and Recipient of National Humanities Medal
- John Varghese, 13th Principal of St. Stephen's College
- B. G. Verghese, Former Information Adviser to Prime Minister Indira Gandhi
- Dhanya Mary Varghese, Indian actress
- George Varghese, a principal researcher at Microsoft Research
- N. F. Varghese, Malayalam film actor
- James Varghese, Principal Secretary of Kerala (IAS 1986).
- Mary Verghese, Recipient of Padma Shri
- Paul Varghese, Stand-up comedian
- Peter Varghese, Australian Diplomat and Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Philip Varghese, Distinguished Professor at University of Texas at Austin.
- Rose Varghese, Vice-Chancellor of National University of Advanced Legal Studies.
- Samuel Verghese, Former Financial Commissioner and Chief Secretary of Jammu and Kashmir (IAS 1976).
- Sijoy Varghese, Indian Ad Film Director/Producer, Event Director, Screenwriter and Actor,.
Varkey as given name
- The Encyclopedia of Christianity, Volume 5 by Erwin Fahlbusch. Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing - 2008. p. 285. ISBN 978-0-8028-2417-2.
- The Jews of India: A Story of Three Communities by Orpa Slapak. The Israel Museum, Jerusalem. 2003. p. 27. ISBN 965-278-179-7.
- BG Verghese Writings and Commentaries - Outlook magazine excerpt on the 1966 rupee devaluation rollercoaster, from B G Verghese's memoirs, First Draft: The Making of Modern In...
- "Government of Kerala". Government of Kerala. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Mr Peter N Varghese AO - Biographical details". Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Commonwealth of Australia. 3 December 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- "Philip L. Varghese: Professor Profile". University of Texas at Austin. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Rose Varghese is NUALS VC". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Agricultural department inert to HC directions, inquiry reports Minister, Director clueless". Early Times. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Samuel Varghese to hold additional charge as CS, J&K". Bureaucracy Today. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Joshiy sir found a commanding power in my body language: Sijoy Varghese". The Times of India. 3 August 2014.