This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: poor grammar, needs to use proper citation templates. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Varghese / Varughese / Verghese, Geevarghese ,Varkey and Vergis are Syriac–Malayalam variants of George in India. It is given as first name or last name among the Syrian Christians / Saint Thomas Christians, an ancient community of Christians in India. The name Georgios, whose origin is from the Greek root word 'geō', means a 'farmer'. This Greek name became popular in Eastern Orthodox Churches due to the legend of Saint George who was a Roman soldier of Greek descent killed for his Christian faith. He was considered to be a saint. In Middle Eastern regions, especially within Assyrian Christian community the saint's name was spelt as Gewargis or Gevergis. The Syrian Orthodox community within Kerala had a Malayalam variant spelt as Geevarghese. With time the name 'Geevarghese' began to sound like two conjoined names Gee Varghese'. Finally the name got shortened into 'Varghese'.
People named Varghese
Varghese as given name
- Verghese Kurien (1921–2012), Recipient of Padma Vibhushan and known as "Father of the White Revolution"
- Varghese Mathai, Professor of Mathematics at University of Adelaide.
- Geevarghese Mar Gregorios, Canonized Christian saint by the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church.
- Varghese Daniel (1956— ), cricketer
- Varghese Johnson (1982— ), boxer
- Varghese Payyappilly Palakkappilly (1876–1929), Venerable canonized by the Syro-Malabar Church.
- Arikkad "Naxal" Varghese (1938–1970), murdered activist
Varghese as last name
- Abraham Verghese (1955– ), Professor of Medicine at Stanford University Medical School and Recipient of National Humanities Medal
- B. G. Verghese, Former Information Adviser to Prime Minister Indira Gandhi
- Dhanya Mary Varghese, Indian actress
- George Varghese, a principal researcher at Microsoft Research
- N. F. Varghese, Malayalam film actor
- Mary Verghese, Recipient of Padma Shri
- Paul Varghese, Stand-up comedian
- Peter Varghese, Australian Diplomat and Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Sijoy Varghese, Indian Ad Film Director/Producer, Event Director, Screenwriter and Actor,.
- Thomas Joseph Varghese, Indian educator based in Malaysia, founder of Vanto Academy in 1960.
- The Encyclopedia of Christianity, Volume 5 by Erwin Fahlbusch. Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing - 2008. p. 285. ISBN 978-0-8028-2417-2.
- The Jews of India: A Story of Three Communities by Orpa Slapak. The Israel Museum, Jerusalem. 2003. p. 27. ISBN 965-278-179-7.
- BG Verghese Writings and Commentaries - Outlook magazine excerpt on the 1966 rupee devaluation rollercoaster, from B G Verghese's memoirs, First Draft: The Making of Modern In...
- "Mr Peter N Varghese AO - Biographical details". Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Commonwealth of Australia. 3 December 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- "Joshiy sir found a commanding power in my body language: Sijoy Varghese". The Times of India. 3 August 2014.