Vickers 14 inch/45 naval gun
|Vickers 14 inch 45-calibre naval gun
14"41st Year Type
14" 43rd Year Type
36 cm 41st Year Type
Gun being installed on Haruna, Kobe, October 1914
|In service||1913 - 1945|
|Wars||World War I, World War II|
Japan Steel Works
|Weight||86,000 kilograms (86 t)|
|Barrel length||Bore 52 ft 6 in (16.002 m) (45 calibres)|
|Shell||673.5 kg (1,485 lb)|
|Calibre||14-inch (355.6 mm)|
|Elevation||-3° to +43°|
|Rate of fire||2 rpm|
|Muzzle velocity||775 m/s (2,540 ft/s)|
|Maximum firing range||35,450 m (38,770 yd)|
The Vickers 14 inch 45 calibre gun was designed and built by Vickers and initially installed on the battlecruiser Kongō which it was building for the Imperial Japanese Navy. Guns similar to this Vickers design were also later built in Japan to arm Kongō's sister ships and subsequent Japanese-constructed "super-dreadnoughts" which were all built in Japan. Japanese-built versions of the guns were designated 14 inch 41st Year Type, and from 1917 when the Navy went metric they were redesignated 36 cm 41st Year Type.
The original design for the Kongō class featured 12-inch (304.8 mm) 50-caliber guns. Cdr Katô Hirohasu of the Imperial Japanese Navy pushed for the adoption of the new 14-inch gun that was currently under development. After trials of the new gun, which were witnessed by both the Japanese Navy and Royal Navy, the Japanese made the decision on 29 Nov 1911 to use the new gun in Kongō despite her keel having already been laid down on 17 January 1911, and the resulting need to quickly make a large number of alternations to the design, so as to not prolong the construction.
This gun armed the following Japanese warships:
- Kongō-class battlecruisers, launched 1912 - 1913:
- Fusō-class battleships, launched 1915:
- Ise-class battleships, launched 1916 - 1917:
Weapons of comparable role, performance and era
- Campbell, Naval Weapons of WWII, p.184.
- Lengerer. Page 142.
- Tony DiGiulian, Japan 14"/45 (35.6 cm) Vickers Mark "A" - 14"/45 (35.6 cm) 43rd Year Type - 14"/45 (35.6 cm) 41st Year Type - 36 cm/45 (14") 41st Year Type
- Lengerer, Hans (2012). Jordan, John, ed. The Battlecruisers of the Kongō Class. Warship 2012. London: Conway. pp. 142–161. ISBN 978-1-84486-156-9.
- Campbell, John (1985). Naval Weapons of World War Two. Naval Institute Press. ISBN 0-87021-459-4.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vickers 14 inch/45 naval gun.|