|Born||June 15, 1959|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, musician|
|Labels||Acoustic Music, Vicki Genfan/NafnegV, Harmonic Touch|
Vicki Genfan (born June 15, 1959) is an American singer and guitarist.
Genfan took up the guitar at age five. Her father played twelve-string guitar, mandolin and fiddle, and sang. Her older brother played guitar, too. She studied classical music and jazz at Ithaca College in New York City. Besides guitar, Genfan plays piano, banjo, hand percussion, and trombone.
In 1994, she produced her first album, Native, on cassette, but it didn't sell in significant numbers. In 2001, she released a self-produced album, Outside the Box. During the same year, she won the Just Plain Folks Award for the song New Grass. In 2003, the German label Acoustic Music Records released Vicki Genfan Live, an album recorded at Open Strings Festival in Osnabrück, Germany. In 2004, she placed second at Mountain Stage New Song Festival in West Virginia with her song, Eleanor. In 2006, she released the double album Up Close & Personal.
She has given lectures and taught at workshops and guitar clinics.
Technique and equipment
Her first musical inspiration was her father. Other influences include James Taylor, Michael Jackson, Pat Metheny, Joni Mitchell, Meshell Ndegeocello, Marvin Gaye, Jonatha Brooke, and Leo Kottke.
Until May 2009 Genfan played a Gibson L-140, a Gibson LG and a Alvarez Silver Anniversary guitar. The Alvarez uses a TrueTone pickup in which two microphones and a L.R. Baggs LB6 pickup send signals to two outlets. Genfan plays a custom Luna guitar built by luthier Gray Burchette and equipped with a MiniFlex internal microphone system and an under-saddle RMC hex pickup.
She owns a Guild 12 string guitar, a Muse 12 string by Luna Guitars, and a Vega 6 string Deering banjo. She uses medium-gauge EXP D'Addario strings. Her engineer, Tay Hoyle, plays a main role in producing Genfan's albums and accompanies her on tour.
- 1994 – Native (Vicki Genfan)
- 2000 – Outside the Box (Vicki Genfan)
- 2003 – Vicki Genfan Live (Acoustic Music)
- 2006 – Up Close & Personal (Harmonic Touch)
- 2008 – Uncovered (Acoustic Sounds)
- 1991 – Mistaken Identity, Donna Summer (Atlantic)
- 2000 – Home Away from Home, Dee Carstensen (Exit Nine)
- 2000 – Fourth Floor, Sonya Heller
- Vicki Genfan's page at Luna Guitars. Accessed on November 18, 2007.
- Tap Tones - Bill Milkowski writes about Vicki Genfan in Acoustic Guitar, issue 109, January 2002. Accessed on November 18, 2007.
- Interview with Patty Larkin and Vicki Genfan by Ann Latner. Archived 2006-03-13 at the Wayback Machine Accessed on November 18, 2007.
- PRIVATE LESSON – Vicki Genfan, by Teja Gerken. Accessed on November 18, 2007.
- Joel Selvin (September 15, 2008). "Acoustic player wins Guitar Superstar contest". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Fusilli, Jim. "A Guitar Contest With a Winning Surprise", The Wall Street Journal, September 16, 2008. Accessed June 1, 2012. "'My nerves will be pretty tight,' guitarist Vicki Genfan told me when we spoke before she left for San Francisco from her home in Fairview, N.J."
- Gibson presents Vicki Genfan. By Bernd Strohm (german). Accessed on November 18, 2007
- Bill Milkowski describes Vicki Genfan's Guitars in Acoustic Guitar, issue 109, January 2002. Archived 2008-10-13 at the Wayback Machine Accessed on November 18, 2007
- List of artists using a Deering-Banjo. Archived 2007-07-29 at the Wayback Machine Accessed on November 18, 2007