Vidigal, Rio de Janeiro
Aerial photo of Vidigal
|State||Rio de Janeiro (RJ)|
|Municipality/City||Rio de Janeiro|
Morro Dois Irmãos
Morro Dois Irmãos is also the location of a very frequented and sought-after Two Brothers hike (Trilha Morro Dois Irmãos). Anyone wanting to complete this hike would travel to Vidigal. At the base, near the plaza (Praça do Vidigal), visitors may choose to ride to the Vila Olímpica soccer field (the entrance for the hike) by Kombi van or on the moto-taxis. There are two viewpoints in this hike before reaching the final destination of the peak. From the first, you will be able to see Rocinha, which is the largest favela in Latin America, and a clear view of Pedra da Gávea. From the second, you are able to see Serra da Carioca, Gávea, Corcovado (where Christ the Redeemer stands tall), and Pedra Bonita. Once reaching the highest peak of the Morro Dois Irmãos you are able to see all of South Zone (Zona Sul) ranging from Botafogo to Leblon, including a beautiful view of Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon (Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas).
In November 2011, Vidigal and its neighboring community, Rocinha, were pacified by the Pacifying Police Unit. This so-called pacification has shown to be more cosmetic than real and criminals from the ADA gang (Amigos dos Amigos or Friends of Friends) that have kept the real power unabated by police, continued to sell drugs and extort the inhabitants through the sale of overpriced gas cylinders for example.
In September 2017, a so-called coup d'état took place in Rocinha which saw its criminal control shift from ADA to CV ( Comando Vermelho or Red Command). As of December 2017, and through December 2020, Vidigal is a completely transformed favela, for the worse, where it is not uncommon to hear daily heavy arms fire and even see criminals carrying machine-guns on the main street Av. Presidente João Goulart at all times of day. In 2020, at times there were gun battles between the military police and drug traffickers, and the police were accused of innocently killing four men, although their innocence is disputed.
- www.youtube: "Morro Dois Irmãos" song by [Chico Buarque
- eTrilhas. "Dois Irmãos - eTrilhas - Encontre trilhas para sua aventura e conecte-se com guias profissionais" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2018-12-01.
- "RJ: homem é baleado em tiroteio entre policiais e traficantes no Vidigal [29/07/2020]". noticias.uol.com.br (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2021-01-01.
- "Moradores relatam tiroteio no Vidigal; PM afirma que UPP foi atacada". G1 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2021-01-01.
- "MPRJ denuncia PMs por morte de 4 pessoas no Vidigal, na Zona Sul do Rio". G1 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2021-01-01.
- "Trabalhador morto no Vidigal durante operação da PM é enterrado neste domingo". G1 (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2021-01-01.