Violet Solomon Oaklander (born 1927) is a child therapist known for her work with children and adolescents, integrating Gestalt Therapy theory and practice with play therapy techniques. Her book on expressive therapy Windows to Our Children, was first published in 1978, is still in print in 2015 and has been translated into other languages.
Oaklander's work is used as a point of reference by other therapists who want to incorporate Gestalt therapy with children. Her work has also been used to help support the theoretical foundation of art therapy programs for youth.
She has traveled across the world, teaching workshops in her method to mental health professionals, and speaking at professional conferences. Oaklander established a non-profit organization, the Violet Solomon Oaklander Foundation, to continue her work after she retired.
- "Commentary II: A Developmental Theory of the Infant". Gestalt Review. 16 (3): 251–258. 2012.
- Hidden Treasure: A Map to the Child's Inner Self. London: Karnac. 2006. ISBN 9781855754904.
- Oaklander, Violet (2001-01-01). "Gestalt play therapy". International Journal of Play Therapy. 10 (2). doi:10.1037/h0089479.
- "The Therapeutic Process With Children and Adolescents". Gestalt Review. 1 (4): 292–317. 1997.
- O'Connor, Kevin J.; Schaefer, Charles E., eds. (1994). "Gestalt Play Therapy". Handbook of Play Therapy: Advances and Innovations. 2. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. ISBN 0471584630.
- Windows to Our Children: A Gestalt Therapy Approach to Children and Adolescents. Moab, Utah: Real People Press. 1978. ISBN 9780911226171.
- McMullin, Lisa Ann (1997). "The Rosebush: An Examination of the Images and Metaphorical Narratives of Grade Six Boys" (PDF). Master of Education Thesis. University of Lethbridge. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- "Oaklander, Violet". WorldCat. OCLC. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- Lobb, Margherita Spagnuolo (2012). "Response to Roos, Oaklander, and Mortola". Gestalt Review. 16 (3): 267–272. Retrieved 28 August 2015. (Subscription required (. ))
- Goodman, Robin; Williams, Katherine (November 1998). "Talk, Talk, Talk, When Do We Draw?". American Journal of Art Therapy. 37 (2): 39. Retrieved 28 August 2015. (Subscription required (. ))
- Campbell, Chari (October 1993). "Interview with Violet Oaklander, Author of 'Windows to Our Children'". Elementary School Guidance & Counseling. 28 (1): 52. Retrieved 28 August 2015. (Subscription required (. ))
- Oaklander, Violet (2012). "Commentary II: A Developmental Theory of the Infant". Gestalt Review. 16 (3): 251–258. Retrieved 28 August 2015. (Subscription required (. ))