Violet Solomon Oaklander (born 1927) is a child and adolescent therapist known for her method of integrating Gestalt Therapy theory and practice with play therapy techniques, to create Gestalt Play Therapy. Her book on expressive therapy Windows to Our Children, was first published in 1978, is still in print in 2015 and has been translated into at least 15 languages.
Oaklander's work is used as a point of reference by other therapists who want to incorporate Gestalt therapy with children. Her work has also been used to help support the theoretical foundation of art therapy programs for youth.
Oaklander has traveled across the world, lecturing and teaching workshops on her Gestalt Play Therapy method for mental health professionals.
- "Commentary II: A Developmental Theory of the Infant". Gestalt Review. 16 (3): 251–258. 2012.
- Hidden Treasure: A Map to the Child's Inner Self. London: Karnac. 2006. ISBN 9781855754904.
- Oaklander, Violet (2001-01-01). "Gestalt play therapy". International Journal of Play Therapy. 10 (2). doi:10.1037/h0089479.
- "The Therapeutic Process With Children and Adolescents". Gestalt Review. 1 (4): 292–317. 1997.
- O'Connor, Kevin J.; Schaefer, Charles E., eds. (1994). "Gestalt Play Therapy". Handbook of Play Therapy: Advances and Innovations. 2. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. ISBN 0471584630.
- Windows to Our Children: A Gestalt Therapy Approach to Children and Adolescents. Moab, Utah: Real People Press. 1978. ISBN 9780911226171.
- McMullin, Lisa Ann (1997). "The Rosebush: An Examination of the Images and Metaphorical Narratives of Grade Six Boys" (PDF). Master of Education Thesis. University of Lethbridge. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- "Oaklander, Violet". WorldCat. OCLC. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- Lobb, Margherita Spagnuolo (2012). "Response to Roos, Oaklander, and Mortola". Gestalt Review. 16 (3): 267–272. Retrieved 28 August 2015. (Subscription required (help)).
- Goodman, Robin; Williams, Katherine (November 1998). "Talk, Talk, Talk, When Do We Draw?". American Journal of Art Therapy. 37 (2): 39. Retrieved 28 August 2015. (Subscription required (help)).
- Campbell, Chari (October 1993). "Interview with Violet Oaklander, Author of 'Windows to Our Children'". Elementary School Guidance & Counseling. 28 (1): 52. Retrieved 28 August 2015. (Subscription required (help)).
- "About Us - Violet Solomon Oaklander Foundation". Violet Solomon Oaklander Foundation. Retrieved September 16, 2018.
- Oaklander, Violet (2012). "Commentary II: A Developmental Theory of the Infant". Gestalt Review. 16 (3): 251–258. Retrieved 28 August 2015. (Subscription required (help)).