|Meaning||great, grandeur, unstoppable|
|Region of origin||India|
|Alternative spelling||Vishaal, Vishaul, Visal|
Vishal ( विशाल) is a first name for males, often found in the South Asian community. Vishal means great, grandeur, magnificence, prominence, illustriousness and eminence. The meaning is also attributive to the property of being grand.
Vishal means supreme consciousness, Great, prominence, eminence, immense, grandeur, magnificence and illustriousness.
Vishal refers to the greatness, grandeur and magnificence of attributes and quality of wide range of things including metaphysical, conceptual, physical, even geographical size supernatural, humans, living beings, objects or even immense reach of something e.g. ideology, popularity, superiority, power, influence.
There is no exact translation for Vishal in English. It is not limited to physical size. Vishal has an implied connotation of being wide, broad, huge, spacious, reach, influence, intellectual attainment, great size or a great expanse.
Some of the few interpretations include:
- the unstoppable one
- the one who dreams impossible dreams
- the one who reaches for the sky and is creative beyond all understanding
- supreme consciousness
- broad minded
Vishalta (Hindi & Sanskrit: विशालता) comes from the word Vishal and is a state of mind that is often embraced by different religious and spiritual leaders in India. The word embodies the ultimate state of selflessness, or belief that the body, mind, and all worldly possessions belong to God. One in a state of Vishaltha believes that the body is only a tool for carrying out the wishes of the Lord.
It has been suggested that one of Buddha's favorite resorts, Vaishali, was named after King Vishal, a ruler during the times of Ramayana. There exists a large, but ruined fort, which is believed to be built by King Vishal.
Commonly in Sanskrit the name is spelt as Vishaala, since in Sanskrit nouns receive an extra a. In Hindi it is commonly spelt as Vishal.
In Guyana it is commonly spelt as Vishaul.
- Vaishali (Hindi & Sanskrit: वैशाली)
- Yash (Hindi & Sanskrit: यश) - somewhat similar meaning to Vishal but not exactly
People with the name
Industrialists and business professionals
Movies, TV and entertainment
- Vishal (actor) (born 1977), Indian film actor
- Vishal Bhardwaj (born 1965), Indian music composer
- Vishal Dadlani, Indian music composer of Vishal–Shekhar
- Vishal Karwal (born 1984), Indian actor
- Vishal Mahadkar (born 1978), Indian film director
- Vishal Malhotra (born 1981), Indian actor and presenter
- Vishal Singh (TV actor) (born 1974), television actor from India
- Vishal Sinha, Indian cinematographer
- Vishal Veeru Devgan, better known as Ajay Devgn, Indian movie actor
- Vishal Bharat (born 1978), British Virgin Islands cricketer
- Vishal Dabholkar (born 1987), Indian cricketer
- Vishal Dhankhar (born 1993), Ultra Runner
- Vishal Joshi (born 1989), Indian cricketer
- Vishal Kumar (born 1992), Indian footballer
- Vishal Marwaha (born 1976), Scottish field hockey player
- Vishal Singh (polo player), Indian polo player
- Vishal Tripathi (born 1988), English cricketer
- Vishal Arora, Indian journalist
- Vishal Mangalwadi (born 1949), Indian author
- Vishal Dadlani, Indian singer
- Vishal Sareen (born 1973), Indian chess player