Vladimir Petrovich Filatov
|Died||October 30, 1956 (aged 81)|
|Education||Academician of the USSR Academy of Medical Sciences|
|Alma mater||Imperial Moscow University (1897)|
Vladimir Petrovich Filatov (Russian: Владимир Филaтoв, 15 [O.S. 27] February 1875 in Mikhaylovka, Penza Governorate, Russian Empire – 30 October 1956 in Odessa, Ukrainian SSR) was a Russian and Ukrainian ophthalmologist and surgeon best known for his development of tissue therapy. He introduced the tube flap grafting method, corneal transplantation and preservation of grafts from cadaver eyes. He founded the Institute of Eye Diseases & Tissue Therapy in Odessa, Soviet Union (today Ukraine). Filatov is also credited for restoring Vasily Zaytsev's sight when he suffered an injury to his eyes from a mortar attack during Battle of Stalingrad.
First corneal transplantation was attempted by Filatov on 28 February 1912, but the graft grew opaque. After numerous attempts over the course of many years, Filatov achieved a successful transplantation of cornea from a diseased person on 6 May 1931.
After Filatov's death in 1956, his apprentice Nadezhda Puchkovskaya led the Institute of Eye Diseases & Tissue Therapy in Odessa, which was renamed in honor of Filatov as The Filatov Institute of Eye Diseases & Tissue Therapy.
- Ramon Castroviejo - a Spanish contemporary of Filatov that was also a pioneer in corneal transplantation.
- David Bushmich - an ophthalmologist under Filatov, worked closely with Dr. Puchkovskaya.
- Vladimir Filatov, peoples.ru
- "The Filatov Institute of Eye Diseases & Tissue Therapy official website". filatovinstitut.com.ua. Archived from the original on 2006-06-19. Retrieved 2006-07-30.
- "Filatov Research Institute of Eye Diseases and Tissue Therapy". 2odessa.com. Retrieved 2006-07-30. Photos of the institute.
- "Filatov's grave". 2odessa.com. Retrieved 2006-07-30. Photo of Filotav's grave.
- "The Filatov Institute in the Web Space". www.geocities.com (in Russian). Archived from the original on 2009-08-03. Retrieved 2006-07-30.
|This biographical article about a Russian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Ukrainian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|