The lighthouse in 2016
|Location||Puthuvype, Kochi, Kerala|
|Year first constructed||1839 (first)|
|Year first lit||1979 (current)|
|Tower shape||octagonal tower with balcony and lantern|
|Markings / pattern||white and red horizontal bands, white lantern|
|Tower height||46 metres (151 ft)|
|Focal height||49 metres (161 ft)|
|Light source||mains power|
|Range||28 nautical miles (52 km; 32 mi)|
|Characteristic||Fl (4) W 20s.|
The Vypin Lighthouse or Cochin Lighthouse is situated at Puthuvype in Kochi, Kerala. Even though the current lighthouse started functioning only by 15 November 1979, the Cochin Lighthouse has a long history. The lighthouse which was functioning in Fort Kochi from 1839 was shifted to Puthuvype in 1979. It is the tallest lighthouse in Kerala.
The tower has a height of 46 metres (151 ft) and is made of double layered concrete. The light beam has the range of 28 nautical miles (52 km; 32 mi).
The old light at Fort Kochi
An oil lamp light started functioning at Fort Kochi in 1839. In 1902, a new light and reflecting mechanism was introduced. Modifications were made in 1914. In the 1920s, a new 10-meter tall tower was erected.
In 1936, a 25-meter tall steel tower was installed with a gaslight. In 1966, a mechanism called sun valve was introduced. Plans to construct a taller and brighter light and a radio beacon were drawn up. Since there was a paucity of land, the new light was transferred to Puthuvype in the Vypin Island and the radio beacon was shifted to Azhikode.
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of India: Kerala and Karnataka". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- "Cochin District". DGLL. Archived from the original on 17 September 2014. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Lighthouses of India: Kerala and Karnataka". unc.edu. unc.edu. Archived from the original on 2 April 2014. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 12 March 2013. Retrieved 19 September 2014.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Vypin Lighthouse in Lighthouse Digest's Lighthouse Explorer Database
- Directorate General of Lighthouses and Lightships
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vypin lighthouse.|