|Traded as||FWB: UTDI|
|Predecessor||1&1 EDV-Marketing GmbH|
|Headquarters||Montabaur, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany|
|Ralph Dommermuth (CEO and chairman of the management board), Kurt Dobitsch (Chairman of the supervisory board)|
|Services||ISP, web hosting, webmail|
|Revenue||€2.397 billion (2012)|
|€153.7 million (2012)|
|Profit||€71.5 million (2012)|
|Total assets||€1.241 billion (end 2012)|
|Total equity||€815 million (end 2012)|
Number of employees
|6,254 (end 2012)|
United Internet AG is a German Internet services company. With 2.91 million DSL customer contracts, it is a leading ISP in Germany. It is headquartered in Montabaur, Rhineland-Palatinate. Since 2003, it is listed on the TecDAX. In its operating business, United Internet AG acts primarily via 1&1 Internet and is active in various countries (as of February 2014: Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, Poland, Spain, United Kingdom, and USA).
In July 2008, United Internet AG acquired a 30% stake in Jimdo GmbH. Jimdo's website builder became the core of 1&1's MyWebsite product (formerly dubbed "MyBusiness Site)". Jimdo bought back its shares in 2009.
In February 2014 United Internet announced the acquisition of a 25% stake in e-commerce software company ePages. ePages announced on the same day that the company would provide a new global e-commerce platform for customers of United Internet's 1&1 brand.
United Internet is the parent company of 2 major email providers, GMX Mail which is predominantly a European provider and Mail.com whose users are mainly from the US and the UK. Unlike most major email providers United Internet's subsidiaries are lacking a basic security feature which is Multi-factor authentication that other mail providers like Gmail, Outlook, AOL Mail and Yahoo Mail provide as standard. This is despite their own subsidiary company 1&1 Internet stating in their blog that turning on 2 factor authentication should be used to protect online security.
- "Annual Report 2012". United Internet. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Telefonica O2 eyes Hansenet, United Internet - report". Retrieved 2008-03-24.
- "Contact[permanent dead link]." United Internet. Retrieved on 7 May 2009.
- "From past to present". 1&1. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Web Hosting Provider, 1&1 Internet, Enlists Foundry's NetIron XMR Multi-Services". Retrieved 2009-03-24.
- "United Internet AG acquires a minority stake in Jimdo GmbH." Thomson Reuters. July 8, 2008. Retrieved on May 1, 2009.
- "Jimdo Sells 30% Stake To United Internet, Signs Deal To License Its Website Editing Tool". Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Thanks, but No Thanks: Passing on an 8 Figure Venture Round". Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- EANS-Adhoc: freenet AG / United Internet to acquire freenet's DSL business July 26, 2009. retrieved on May 28, 2010.
- "United Internet Ventures AG buys shares in Open-Xchange AG". Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "United Internet acquires equity interest of around 25 percent in ePages". Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "ePages provides the new global e-commerce platform for 1&1 customers". Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "United Internet to buy KKR's stake in Versatel for $769 mln" (Press release). Reuters. 3 September 2014.
- "1&1 Internet Security Advisory Blog Post".