This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Pharmaceutical and Laboratory Equipment|
|Founded||1870 in Göttingen|
Number of employees
The Sartorius group is an international pharmaceutical and laboratory equipment supplier, covering the segments of Bioprocess Solutions and Lab Products & Services.
The company consists of the two divisions 'Bioprocess Solutions' and 'Lab Products & Services'. Bioprocess Solutions includes the segments filtration, fluid management, fermentation and purification and focuses on the production processes of the biopharmaceutical industry. Lab Products & Services focuses on the production and servicing of laboratory instruments and consumables. Sartorius has its own production facilities in Europe, Asia and America as well as sales subsidiaries and commercial agencies in more than 110 countries. The Sartorius preference share has been traded at the German technology index TecDAX since 18 June 2012.
Within the Management Board, Reinhard Vogt is responsible for Marketing, Sales and Services; while Jörg Pfirrmann manages Finance, IT, General Administration and Human Resources as well as being Executive for Labor Relations. The CEO, Joachim Kreuzburg, is responsible for Corporate Strategy, Legal, Compliance as well as Communications. He also is Chairman of the Board and CEO of the subgroup Sartorius Stedim Biotech (SSB)
In 1870University of Göttingen mechanician founded the fine precision weighing company called "Feinmechanische Werkstatt F. Sartorius" and began production of short-beam analytical balances. The new light weight material aluminum he used to produce these ensured rapid overseas sales.Florenz Sartorius (1846–1925), a
To allow the use of hydro power, the company moved north of Göttingen to Bovenden, where the new factory provided work for 60 people. This move coincided with the production of the company's 3000th scale in 1895. However, in 1899 the headquarters of the company was to move once more, this time to a plot near the Weender highway on the northern outskirts of Göttingen.
In 1906, the founder's three sons William (1872–1937), Erich (1876–1947) and Julius (1878–1918) became partners in their father's company. Shortly after in 1911, the company celebrated the construction of its 10,000th analytical balance. In 1914, Florenz and his sons turned the company into a stock corporation to expand its capital base.
During the First World War the company was converted into producing military hardware, and relationships with the foreign business wings of the company were broken off. After the war ended, the company returned to the proven business of weighing technology; however, it was not until the mid-1930s that the pre-war production figures were once again achieved.
With the start of the Second World War, the company was once again taken over for the purpose of building military hardware, this time for the air force, and for this purpose a new factory was completed in 1941.
Between the wars in 1927, the company (under the name Membranfiltergesellschaft m.b.H.) began the industrial production of membrane filters, under the leadership of Nobel prize winner Richard Zsigmondy and his associate Wilhelm Bachmann. This early phase of production became the foundation for Sartorius’ bioprocess business, which still produces filters to this day.
Recent history (since 2000)
Three acquisitions contributed to enhancement of the process development services offered through subsidiary Sartorius Stedim Biotech (SSB): British TAP Biosystems in 2013, which brought with it fermentation capabilities; Scottish BioOutsource Ltd. in 2015, which provided bioanalytical testing services; and German Cellca also in 2015, which was founded in 2005 and specialized in cell line and process development. By 2017, the subsidiary Sartorius Stedim Cellca was in operation, operating out of a rented facility in Lauheim, but by 2019 a new facility is slated to be occupied in the Eselsberg district of Ulm.
Sartorius took over B. Braun Biotech International (BBI) from B. Braun Melsungen AG. BBI, the world's leading manufacturer of fermenters (bioreactor) and cell culture systems at the time, was integrated into the Sartorius group as Sartorius Stedim Systems GmbH (formerly Sartorius BBI Systems GmbH ), a subsidiary of Sartorius Stedim Biotech GmbH.
Sartorius AG acquired the remaining shares in Viva Science and is now the sole owner.
Sartorius merged its biotechnology division with the French biotech company Stedim S.A. The resulting Sartorius Stedim Biotech (SSB) is the world's leading technology provider for the biopharmaceutical industry. The new company is listed on the Paris stock exchange.
Sartorius took over the Toha Plast GmbH , which now operates under the name Sartorius Stedim Plastics .
Through its subgroup SSB Sartorius acquired the Swiss-based Wave Biotech AG, a leading provider of single-use bioreactors.
Through its subsidiary SSB Sartorius acquired a majority stake in the US start-up AllPure Technologies LLC, thus complementing the disposables portfolio for the biopharmaceutical industry.
In December 2014, Sartorius sold its Industrial Technologies division, which specializes in industrial weighing and control equipment, to the Japanese company Minebea Co., Ltd. Consequently, Sartorius concentrated on its core businesses with its two divisions Bioprocess Solutions and Lab Products & Services.
In July, the company, through SSB, acquired kSep Systems, which specialized in preparative centrifugation for recombinant proteins, vaccines and cell therapy products.
The company acquired cell-based assay and instrumentation firm Essen BioScience, from private equity owner SFW Capital Partners, for $320 million. They also acquired Umetrics a data analytics company for $72.5 million.
Products & services
Sartorius Stedim Biotech
- automated cell banking (cryovial handling) system
- Single use bioreactors
- Scaledown bioreactors
- Membrane chromatography devices (membrane adsorbers)
- Manufacturing process platforms and modular manufacturing facility elements
Sartorius Stedim BioOutsource
BioOutsource is a subsidiary of Sartorius Stedim Biotech
- Chemistry testing services, focus on analysis of therapeutic monoclonal antibodies for their physicochemical and structural properties
Sartorius Stedim Cellca
In 2001, Sartorius receive the "Innovation Award of the German Economy" for its development of the GENIUS analytical balance. Two years later Sartorius competed for and received the "Initiative Prize" for training and continuing education from the Otto Wolf foundation, the German Chamber of Commerce and industry and the German-language weekly financial journal Wochenmagazin.
In 2004, the company received the Frost & Sullivan award for its innovation in product differentiation technology. In 2005 Sartorius won the "Best innovator of 2005" from the category of ‘Time to profit" awarded by the international management consultant A.T.Hearney and German business magazine Wirtschaftswoche.
In 2006, the international consulting company Frost and Sullivan awarded Sartorius the "2006 Growth Strategy Leadership Award".
In 2016, the Sartorius marketing campaign #passionforscience was nominated on the Shortlist (Top 5) for the Marketing Intelligence and Innovations Awards (MIIA) 2016 in the category Multi-Channel Strategy.[not in citation given]
- "Sartorius Group 2014 Annual Report" (PDF). Sartorius Group. 23 February 2015. Retrieved 1 December 2017.[self-published source]
- "Sartorius Moves Up to the TecDAX" (Press release). Sartorius Group. 6 June 2012. Retrieved 1 December 2017.[self-published source]
- "Sartorius Acquires Cell Line and Process Developer Cellca". GEN News Highlights. Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News. 2 July 2015. Retrieved 2 December 2017.
- Sartorius-Herbst, Karin; Bracht, Karl; Barankewitz, Jörg (2006). "Evolving from a University Mechanician to a Global Player – Sartorius Chronicle from 1870 to 2005" (PDF). Göttingen, Germany: Sartorius AG. Retrieved 1 December 2017.[self-published source]
- "Sartorius Stedim Biotech acquires UK-based CRO, BioOutsource" (Press release). Sartorius Group. 20 April 2015. Retrieved 1 December 2017.[self-published source]
- "Sartorius Stedim Biotech acquires Cellca" (Press release). Sartorius Group. 3 June 2015. Retrieved 1 December 2017.[self-published source]
- "Insights". Columns. Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News. 37 (1). 1 January 2017. Bioprocessing: Synthetic Promoters Promise to Boost Mammalian Cell Platform’s Yields. Retrieved 2 December 2017.
- "Sartorius to Sell Its Industrial Technologies Division to Minebea Co., Ltd" (Press release). Sartorius Group. 14 December 2014. Retrieved 1 December 2017.[self-published source]
- Cardillo, Joe (28 June 2016). "Fast-growing ABQ biotech startup acquired for $90 million in cash". Albuquerque Business First. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "Sartorius Acquires U.S. Start-up ViroCyt" (Press release). Sartorius Group. 15 July 2016. Retrieved 1 December 2017 – via BusinessWire.[self-published source]
- DePalma, Angelo (15 January 2017). "Just Enough Downstream Innovation". Feature Articles. Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News. 37 (2). A New Spin. Retrieved 2 December 2017. (Registration required (help)).
- "Sartorius Sees Future in New Boston Lab". Columns. Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News. 37 (1). 1 January 2017. Retrieved 2 December 2017.
- "Sartorius to Buy Essen for $320M to Acquire Live-Cell Imaging Platform". GEN News Highlights. Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News. 3 March 2017. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "Sartorius Acquires Software Company Umetrics and Closes the Acquisition of Essen BioScience" (Press release). Sartorius Group. 3 April 2017. Retrieved 1 December 2017 – via BusinessWire.[self-published source]
- "Sartorius, Nova to Combine Bioreactor and Cell Analyzer Platforms". GEN News Highlights. Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News. 17 May 2017. Retrieved 2 December 2017.
- Thomas, Dave (1 October 2017). "Evaluation of an Automated Cryovial Dispensing System for Cell Banking". Tutorials. Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News. 37 (17). Retrieved 2 December 2017.
- DePalma, Angelo (1 August 2017). "True to Scale: Benchtop Bioreactors". Feature Articles. Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News. 37 (14). Sartorius Stedim Biotech’s 2nd-Generation STR Bioreactors. Retrieved 2 December 2017. (Registration required (help)).
- Zijlstra, Gerben; Gupta, Priyanka (15 September 2017). "Supplement: Moving toward Continuous Bioprocessing". Feature Articles. Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News. 37 (16). Retrieved 2 December 2017. (Registration required (help)).
- DePalma, Angelo (1 May 2017). "Scaledown Keeps Processes on the Up and Up". Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News. 37 (9). Platform Options. Retrieved 2 December 2017. (Registration required (help)).
- DePalma, Angelo (1 June 2017). "Chromatography Makes Room for Biomolecular Diversity". Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News. 37 (11). Heavier Load for Membranes. Retrieved 2 December 2017. (Registration required (help)).
- Peuker, Thorsten (1 May 2017). "Supplement: Strategies to Overcome Modular Design Challenges". Featured Articles. Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News. 37 (9). Retrieved 2 December 2017. (Registration required (help)).
- "Insights". Columns. Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News. 37 (11). 1 June 2017. Bioprocessing: Sartorius Stedim Biotech Launches Chemistry Testing Services. Retrieved 2 December 2017.
- "2001 - heute". Sartorius Group. 2001. Retrieved 1 December 2017.[self-published source]
- "Sartorius AG Microsites: Intro". Sartorius Group. Archived from the original on 10 June 2012.
Meet Picus – the Red Dot awarded electronic pipette that eases your work load....[self-published source]
- "MIIA Awards 2016". Marketing Intelligence and Innovation Awards 2016. Quadriga Media Berlin GmbH. Retrieved 5 October 2016.