Walker Russell Jr.
|No. 2 – Vaqueros de Bayamón|
|League||Baloncesto Superior Nacional|
October 6, 1982 |
|Listed height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Listed weight||175 lb (79 kg)|
|High school||Rochester (Rochester, Michigan)|
|College||Chipola JC (2002–2003)
Jacksonville State (2003–2006)
|NBA draft||2006 / Undrafted|
|2006–2007||ČEZ Nymburk (Czech Republic)|
|2007||Fort Worth Flyers (D-League)|
|2007–2008||Fort Wayne Mad Ants (D-League)|
|2008–2009||Fort Wayne Mad Ants (D-League)|
|2009–2010||Lukoil Academic (Bulgaria)|
|2010||Piratas de Quebradillas (Puerto Rico)|
|2010–2011||Fort Wayne Mad Ants (D-League)|
|2011||Zhejiang Lions (China)|
|2011||Leones de Santo Domingo (D. Republic)|
|2011–2012||Fort Wayne Mad Ants (D-League)|
|2012||Fort Wayne Mad Ants (D-League)|
|2012–2013||Reno Bighorns (D-League)|
|2013||Cocodrilos de Caracas (Venezuela)|
|2013||Leones de Santo Domingo (D. Republic)|
|2014||Reno Bighorns (D-League)|
|2014||Leones de Santo Domingo (D. Republic)|
|2014||Apollon Limassol (Cyprus)|
|2014–2015||Westchester Knicks (D-League)|
|2015||Leones de Santo Domingo (D. Republic)|
|2016–present||Vaqueros de Bayamón (Puerto Rico)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Walker Dwayne Russell Jr. (born October 6, 1982) is an American professional basketball point guard who currently plays for the Vaqueros de Bayamón of the Baloncesto Superior Nacional (BSN). A native of Pontiac, Michigan, he played college basketball for Chipola College and Jacksonville State University.
After going undrafted in the 2006 NBA draft, Russell joined the New York Knicks for the 2006 NBA Summer League. He later signed with ČEZ Nymburk of the Czech Republic for the 2006–07 season. In February 2007, he left Nymburk and joined the Fort Worth Flyers the following month.
In July 2007, Russell joined the Detroit Pistons for the 2007 NBA Summer League. On October 1, 2007, he signed with the New York Knicks but he was later waived on October 25. In November 2007, he joined the Fort Wayne Mad Ants where he played 17 games before leaving the club in January 2008 to sign with MMT Estudiantes Madrid of Spain for the rest of the season.
In November 2008, Russell returned to the Fort Wayne Mad Ants where he went on to average 16.1 points and 10.8 assists per game in 2008–09.
In July 2009, Russell joined the NBA D-League Select team for the 2009 NBA Summer League. He later signed with Lukoil Academic of Bulgaria for the 2009–10 season but was later released in January 2010 after appearing in 10 games.
On October 30, 2010, he was reacquired by the Fort Wayne Mad Ants and went on to play 37 games for the club in 2010–11. On February 28, 2011, he terminated his contract with Fort Wayne and signed with the Zhejiang Lions for the 2011 CBA playoffs.
After starting the 2011–12 season with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants, Russell signed with the Detroit Pistons on December 12 following the conclusion of the NBA lockout. However, he was later waived by the Pistons on December 21 and returned to Fort Wayne. Then, on January 20, Russell re-signed with the Pistons for the rest of the season.
In July 2012, Russell joined the New York Knicks for the 2012 NBA Summer League. On October 1, 2012, he signed with the Oklahoma City Thunder. However, he was later waived by the Thunder on October 22, 2012. In November 2012, he was once again reacquired by the Mad Ants. On December 27, 2012, he was traded to the Reno Bighorns. On April 19, 2013, he signed with Cocodrilos de Caracas of Venezuela.
On September 1, 2013, he signed a one-month contract with Galatasaray of the Turkish Basketball League. He left the club following his contract's expiration before playing in a game for them. On February 27, 2014, he was reacquired by the Reno Bighorns.
In May 2014, he signed with Leones de Santo Domingo for the 2014 season, returning to the club for a third stint.
On October 2, 2014, Russell signed with Apollon Limassol of the Cyprus Basketball Division 1. After appearing in just one game on November 2, he left Apollon and returned to the United States. On December 23, he was acquired by the Westchester Knicks. In May, 2015, he returned with Leones de Santo Domingo.
Russell is the son of former NBA player, Walker Russell Sr., who played six seasons in the NBA during the 1980s. Both father and son started their NBA career with the Pistons. Russell's first son, Aiden Jake, was born on February 25, 2012.
- Walker Russell Player Profile – RealGM
- Walker Dwayne RUSSELL JR. | Season 2006/2007
- WALKER RUSSELL JR, NUEVO FICHAJE DE MMT ESTUDIANTES (Spanish)
- Walker Russell D-League Stats
- Lukoil Academik tabs Willie Deane and cuts Walker Russell
- Walker Russell jr. inks with Giessen 46ers
- Zhejiang Guangsha Lions replace Alston with Walker Russell
- Walker Russell is a newcomer at Leones de Santo Domingo
- Leones win LNB title!
- Fort Wayne's Walker Russell Jr. Signs With Detroit Pistons
- Thunder add guard Walker Russell to training camp
- Thunder Waive Walker Russell
- Full List of 2012 Returning, Affiliate and Local Tryout Players Invited to NBA D-League Training Camps
- RENO BIGHORNS ACQUIRE WALKER RUSSELL
- Cocodrilos de Caracas land Walker Russell
- LNB - Leones de Santo Domingo cortan racha de Metros en debut de Walker Russell (Spanish)
- Walker Russell signs for Galatasaray
- Walker Russell Jr. Returns to the Reno Bighorns
- Walker Russell vuelve como refuerzo de Leones SD (Spanish)
- Apollon Limassol lands Walker Russell
- Westchester Knicks Acquire Walker Russell Jr.
- Leones presentan su equipo para temporada LNB 2015
- Detroit Pistons guards Will Bynum, Walker D. Russell Jr. add to family over All-Star break