Walram II, Count of Nassau
|Walram II, Count of Nassau|
|Noble family||House of Nassau|
|Spouse(s)||Adelheid of Katzenelnbogen|
|Father||Henry II of Nassau|
|Mother||Matilda of Guelders|
Walram II of Nassau (c. 1220-1276) was Count of Nassau between c. 1249 and 1276.
In about 1247, Henry II abdicated, passing the reign to Walram's younger brother, Otto. Sometime between 1249 and 1251, Walram began to share the reign as Co-Count of Nassau.
Because of continuing disputes with Otto, Walram II divided the inheritance with him on December 17, 1255, beginning a centuries-long political and geographical separation between the two lines of the House of Nassau. The present-day Grand Dukes of Luxemburg are descended from Walram. Walram received all of his father's lands south the Lahn River including Wiesbaden, Idstein, Weilburg and Sonnenberg.
Walram lost several towns, including Nieder-Lahnstein, Pfaffenhofen and Vallendar to the Archbishop of Trier. He also continued the Dernbacher Feud against Hesse. He died on January 24, 1276), allegedly in mental derangement.
Family and children
- Matilda, died young.
- Imagina (died before 1276), may have married Frederick of Lichtenberg.
- Diether (died November 23, 1307), Archbishop and Elector of Trier, 1300-1307.
- Adolf (c. 1255-1298), King of Germany from 1292 until 1298.
- Robert (died c. 1305)
- Walram (died c. 1324)
- Richardis (died July 28, 1311), a nun in Klarenthal Abbey and Mainz.
| Count of Nassau
- Dek (1970). p. 17
- Dek, Dr. Adriaan Willem Eliza (1970). Genealogie van het vorstenhuis Nassau (Genealogy of the Ruling House of Nassau) (in Dutch). Zaltbommel: Eurpoese Bibliotheek. OCLC 27365371. Archived from the original on 2009-10-26. Retrieved 2009-01-28.
- Schwennicke, Detlev (1998). Europäische Stammtafeln (European Ruler Tables), Neue Folge Band I (in German). Frankfurt am Main: Vittorio Klostermann GmbH. ISBN 3-465-02743-4.. Table 60.
- Thiele, Andreas (1994). Erzählende genealogische Stammtafeln zur europäischen Geschichte, Band I, Teilband 2: Deutsche Kaiser-, Königs-, Herzogs- und Grafenhäuser II (Annotated genealogical tables of rulers from European History, Volume 1, Part 2: German Emperor, King, Duke and Count Houses II) (in German) (2nd ed.). Frankfurt am Main: RG Fischer Verlag. ISBN 3-89501-023-5.
This article is based on translations of the corresponding articles from the German and Dutch Wikipedia.