Clockwise from top left: City hall, Saint Martin church, Gasthuis Tower, Gothic house
Location in Gelderland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Albert van den Bosch (VVD)|
|• Total||89.04 km2 (34.38 sq mi)|
|• Land||79.61 km2 (30.74 sq mi)|
|• Water||9.43 km2 (3.64 sq mi)|
|Elevation||3 m (10 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||342/km2 (890/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Zaltbommel was expanded to its current size on 1 January 1999, by a merger of the municipalities of Brakel, Kerkwijk and Zaltbommel. The municipality is situated in the heart of the Netherlands, close to the A2 Motorway, the railway line from Utrecht to 's-Hertogenbosch and the rivers Waal and Maas.
Dutch Topographic map of Zaltbommel (municipality), Sept. 2014
The municipality, consists of 13 population centres and had a population of 27,242 in 2014.
The city of Zaltbommel
The town of Zaltbommel was first mentioned as "Bomela" in the year 850. Zaltbommel received city rights in 1231 and these were renewed in 1316.
- Maarten van Rossum, (ca. 1490 - 1555), famous military commander
- Lucas Vorsterman (1595–1675), engraver
- Hendrik Antonie Lodewijk Hamelberg (1826–1896), consul general and special envoy of the Orange Free State
- Gerard Philips (1858–1942), industrialist, co-founder of Philips Electronics
- Anton Philips (1874–1951), industrialist, co-founder of Philips Electronics
Zaltbommel (in the upper right-hand corner of the image) is situated on the banks of the Waal. Major north-south highways and railways cross the river in the town, just east of the town centre.
- "Burgemeester Van den Bosch" [Mayor Van den Bosch] (in Dutch). Gemeente Zaltbommel. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 5301LB". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.