Watford West railway station
The remains of the station in May 2014.
Location of Watford West in Hertfordshire
|Original company||London and North Western Railway|
|Pre-grouping||London and North Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway|
|15 June 1912||Station opened|
|22 March 1996||Services ceased|
|29 September 2003||Official closure|
|Lists of stations|
| London Transport portal
UK Railways portal
The station opened in 1912 and was temporarily closed in 1996 before being permanently closed on 6 November 2002, with the line being officially closed in September 2003. Facilities at the station had been downgraded in the years prior to closure. At first the station was temporarily closed so the remaining station furniture, including the lampposts, drivers mirrors and the station and street-level signage, was left in situ although by the time clearance work began at the site in preparation for the building of the Croxley Rail Link, both mirrors had collapsed and almost all of the station-level signage had disappeared.
The track may be re-opened as part of the Metropolitan line Croxley Rail Link, approved by the Government on 14 December 2011. It is not planned to re-open Watford West because a new station, Watford Vicarage Road, will be built on Vicarage Road. The electrical substation required for the new line would be built on land adjacent to Tolpits Lane to the south of Watford West. The platform on the north side will be demolished.
On 25 January 2017, the Watford Observer newspaper published an update on the Croxley Rail Link confirming work had stopped as there was an ongoing funding issue.
- The decision to accept the Closure Notice published by the Strategic Rail Authority (dated 23 March 2001) was given in a letter from the then Minister of State for Transport, John Spellar, to the Chief Executive of Network Rail, John Armitt
- Pictures of Watford West station
- Pictures of Watford West station taken in 2008
- Disused stations - Watford West
- "Estimates of station usage". Office of Rail Regulation. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Croxley Rail Link plan approved by Government". The Watford Observer. Retrieved 2011-12-13.
- "Major Scheme Business Case - Main Report" (PDF).
- Picture of Watford West station in June 1985 and of the line shortly after closure
- Footage of Watford West station filmed in 1990
- Pictures of the Croxley Green branch in its disused state (including Watford West)
- Pictures of Watford West station when open and in the years after abandonment
- Pictures of the Croxley line, including Watford West station, taken in 2009
- Croxley Rail Link - official website
- TfL - Croxley Rail Link
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
Line and station closed
Croxley Green Branch
Line and station closed