Founded around 1993.
In 1999 Stefan Herwig, A&R manager at Off Beat, left the company over differences in promotion, to join forces with Eskil Simonsson (Covenant), Johan Van Roy (Suicide Commando), Bryan Erickson (Velvet Acid Christ) and Ronan Harris (VNV Nation) to form a new label, dependent (which opened January 1999). When he left, most artists switched to the new label, effectively shutting down WestCom.
Originally the catalog numbering followed the codes issued by its distributor SPV GmbH (like SPV 085-22292 for Front Line Assembly's 1995 album Hard Wired). Around 1996 the label started its own format, starting with a capital O followed by the release number. Previous releases were attributed numbers, that were added to the artwork in reprints.
Visage was a label/division specialized in synthpop.
Nightshade Productions was a label/division specialized in dark wave music.
- Off Beat discography at Discogs, sorted by date. Retrieved 11 August 2008.
- Bayross, Mark (2004). VNV Nation - Ronan Harris, interview. Retrieved 11 August 2008.
- Reed, S. Alexander (2013). Assimilate: a critical history of industrial music. New York: Oxford University Press. pp. 283–284. ISBN 978-0-19-983260-6.
- This is a conjecture taken from the Off Beat discography at Discogs.
- Near Dark - One Day at Discogs