Westinghouse Licensing Corporation
Westinghouse logo (designed by Paul Rand)
|Westinghouse Electric Corporation|
|Predecessor||Westinghouse Electric (1886)|
|Founded||New York City, New York, U.S. (1998 )|
|Headquarters||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|George Westinghouse (Corporate namesake; founder of the original Westinghouse (1886))|
Westinghouse Licensing Corporation (commonly known as Westinghouse Electric Corporation) is a Delaware General Corporation Law organized subsidiary that was founded in 1998 by Westinghouse-CBS (the renamed "original Westinghouse" and predecessor of the current CBS Corporation) in managing the intellectual property assets relating to the Westinghouse trademarks produced from 1886 until 1996.
After the original Westinghouse acquired CBS Inc. in 1995 from Laurence Tisch, it was about ready to transform itself from an industrial company into a media giant. Starting in 1996, it did just that, selling off many of its non-media assets that came with them.
In 1997, Westinghouse acquired Infinity Broadcasting Corporation and was reorganized as the first CBS Corporation, taking on the name of the broadcasting network. This, however, ended the reign of the name that had been associated with America for 111 years.
In 1998, CBS Corporation established a brand licensing subsidiary Westinghouse Licensing Corporation (Westinghouse Electric Corporation); the original Westinghouse name had recognition in the consumer marketplace and so had a value apart from any actual manufacturing company under that name.
In 1999, CBS Corporation sold all of its nuclear businesses to BNFL. Soon after, BNFL gained license rights on the Westinghouse trademarks and they used those to reorganize their acquired assets as Westinghouse Electric Company LLC. That company was later sold to the Toshiba Group in 2007.
In 2000, CBS Corporation was absorbed into Viacom, thus shutting down all what was left of the "original Westinghouse" for good. The Westinghouse licensing division was included in the merger, and Viacom obtained control of the Westinghouse trademarks. However, in 2005, Viacom changed its name to CBS Corporation, and spun off a new company under the Viacom name. As of 2005[update], this incarnation of CBS Corporation continues to operate the Westinghouse Licensing Corporation.
Licensing of the brand
|Product type||Licensed brandname|
Westinghouse Electric Corporation|
|Previous owners||Westinghouse Electric (1886)|
|Tagline||"Innovation you can be sure of"|
Since 1998, Westinghouse Licensing Corporation has licensed the famous brand for use on a multitude of products, some of which were in similar categories to those sold by the historic version of the company. Though these products advertise the Westinghouse name, they are not manufactured by the historic Westinghouse company.
These are the active Westinghouse licensees manufacturing products under the Westinghouse and White-Westinghouse names:
- Salton Inc. produces kitchen electronics, vacuums, clocks, portable fans and heaters, tabletop air cleaners, curling irons, and hair dryers starting in September 2000. Salton had previous licensed the White-Westinghouse trademark starting in 1996.
- Westinghouse Electric Company LLC, providing nuclear energy worldwide.
- TECO-Westinghouse Motor Company (previously Westinghouse Heavy Industry Motor Division, HIMD), maintains original Westinghouse large electric motor designs and manufactures new motors & generators from ¼ hp to 100,000 hp.
- Westinghouse Battery selling general purpose batteries, Industrial sealed lead acid batteries, and LED flashlights.
- Westinghouse Digital LLC, selling LCD and LED television receivers
- Westinghouse Lighting Corporation, formerly Angelo Brothers Lighting, selling light bulbs, ceiling fans, and lighting fixtures
- Mapana Middle East FZCo selling small home appliances
- Linear LLC d.b.a. Westinghouse-home.com, selling security systems, garage-door openers and wireless intercoms
- The NCC, selling Westinghouse-branded electrical accessories, flashlights, timers and remotes.
- Nordyne, d.b.a. Westinghouse Heating and Cooling, selling heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems
- Westinghouse Solar, Inc., selling solar panels
- Electrolux Group, selling Westinghouse branded refrigerators, washing machines and dishwashers in Australia.
- Colorado Secretary of State
- Ford, Carro (March 2004). "Brand Recharging". Package Design Magazine. ST Media Group International. Archived from the original on 10 December 2008. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Vol. 30". History of Salton, Inc. International Directory of Company Histories. St. James Press. 2000. Retrieved October 26, 2016.